Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

quick question!!!!!

Hello you all.....
    Don't know if this is the right place for this question,But here is goes.
    Has anybody here has ever bought anything from a U.S.A.
    marine supplier?
    The reason Iam asking is 'cause I'am tempted about buying some items off a U.S merchant.but would like to know if there is
    brokers fees at the border and taxes we must pay here in canada for some of these items.
    besides paying the exchange which still comes out cheaper that buying here in canada.I still would like to know what the
    whole process of this transactions are.
    your response will be greatly appreciated.
    thank you.

I think it depends on what the seller puts on the tag. For example checking the little "Gift" block. I think if it's under a certain abount as well you don't have to pay all the extra fee's. Now what that amount is I don't know. I know when I bought a paintball gun from the states I was hit hard with duty, customs, and brokerage (Spelling) fee's. My hand gun was shipped with UPS. I also heard that they are pretty bad for charging with stuff like that. But man what a paintball gun!!!LOL

I hope this helps a little!!!
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

If the product is made in the us you do not pay any duty fees...stay away from ups they charge a ridiculus amount of brokerage....go with usps...united states postal service.....make sure..
    Derik...

Originally posted by volitan
    If the product is made in the us you do not pay any duty fees...stay away from ups they charge a ridiculus amount of brokerage....go with usps...united states postal service.....make sure..
    Ditto> Do not use UPS

if its from a merchant you WILL pay taxes no matter how its shipped. they do/will open the box and check. if its used goods then you might get away with it if its under $200 CA I think? there not dumb, they do check. what are you ordering?

What I have in mind is a light fixture,from web aquatics located in Miami,Florida. It is the Orbit Light fixture with
    dual 96 watts day and night and lunar lights.
    here in Canada al B'LS web site is $479+taxes
    at the USA retailer $216+the shipping and handling which comes to canadian funds all converted to $279.59.
    so even with canadian funds I still save $200.00.
    that is why I wondered about fees and taxes..
    By the way they ship through UPS in the united states.
    any thoughts on this?
    thanks.

Hi there,
    Be carefull who you purchase from I purchased a PC light from Henry33 aka superfishstore.com on ebay and am still looking for my insurance money for a light I received damaged.UPS has paid him in February and he will refund the fixture price I paid on Ebay only and not the brokerage fees nor the shipping or the insurance money he received. I was advised by UPS to not send it back, it belongs to them not him and in reality he has been paid twice. In my experience I try to have items shipped via USPS rather than Courriers simply because every item shipped via courier you have to pay brokerage fees and if its sent via postal service rarely have I paid any thing extra other than tax sometimes. You are right that alot of items are cheaper including exchange just be careful who you deal with. my feeling was that this supplier in Texas could care less about a Canuck buying an item from him. This was my only bad experience with a US transaction and I certainly have purchased alot of US items.

Just to add to my previous thread as I mentioned I purchase alot for example I picked up a Dell Pentium 1 laptop from California for my son $43.00, shipping UPS $18.00, taxes and brokerage fees $39.50. The laptop was mint I didnt repair a thing on it still under $100.00 US good deal? I tried getting it via USPS but seller wouldnt use them to much bother for him I guess ieaperwork, go to postoffice as opposed to UPS pickup.

Why not Use a local Customs brokerage to to the paper work and have the item cleared for you?
    there is a small fee but its worth it A few yrs back i had a short block shipped here from arkansas.
    bokerage fees were very resonable UPS is about the most expensive clearence you can get and dealing with a local broker if things dont clear you have a better chance at knowing why...

UPS has a flat brokerage rate no matter if the goods are declared with zero value. If it has to pass through them expect a bill, if you have a value expect it higher.

Our broker is Schenker and if UPS if delivering it goes to the UPS brokerage office NOT Schenker. I'm not sure about how Fed Ex works but I know as far a shipping companies go (i.e.Yellow) they go through Schenker so I'm led to believe it's smaller packages (short of a truckload that is) that you will have independent brokerage charges but I'm not 100% on that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast