Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fuge help

fuge help

Here is a picture of my fuge. It is about 17g and has been running for about 4 months now. Lately red stuff has started to show up on my substrate. Could it be because there is not enough flow in there. Although it is chalk full of pods, algea and fether dusters, how could I make it even better. I will be adding a bit more base rock that I have curring in some fresh water.

first, you cant cure live rock in fresh water.The red stuff looks like cyano algea....cyanobacteria....Red slime.What is your phosphate and nitrate?if you have low flow...bring it up.
    Derik...

No its just off the shelf base rock curring. I put it in fresh RO water when I get it just incase it leaches. Nitrates are 10ppm, phosphates are undetectable. I have a little power head I will try and put it in there for more flow.

is the algea like a slime carpet?
    Derik...

Yeah it does look like red slime. I have no sign of it in my main tank. Plus my fuge is lit 24/7.

you dont want to do a reverse cycle.....fuge/tank?
    Derik...

Is it better to reverse fuge tank. I just read that some people keep them lit all the time.

Heres a little passage

it is more natural. A real reef receives oxygen rich water at night from deep sea tidal currents. Likewise, a reverse daylight setup creates a symbiotic environment where one source is releasing oxygen and consuming co2, while the other is releasing co2 while consuming oxygen. The pH swings can be prevented by having slightly overlapping light cycles. And using certain strains of caulerpa such as teacup and razor will help reduce the chance of spores being released. Other benefits include longer bulb lifes and less electricity consumed. In addition, refugium filtration will be more efficient due to detrifying bacteria and pods that prefer the dark to light.
    Derik...

Going with a reverse daylight setup is more challenging with more pitfalls, but has the most potential for best results.

And another..i do mine reverse...but maybe someone here have a better reason not to use one
    Derik...

So I should turn my fuge lights on just before my tanks actinics come off. And turn my fuge lights off right after my tanks actinics come back on. What are the chalenges of doing this. Is because my PH is going to bounce all over the place for the first couple of days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast