Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OSD overflows

OSD overflows

Hey is there an offical name for these? Or is that it?

Anyway, I've been looking at the pics cres & OSD posted on these & compairing it to what I did & I think my notches are much thinner.

I just used a generic cutting bit on my dremel & notched a 3" -> 1.5" reducer. I think that's about 1/8". I'm finding the water level gets pretty high before the notches generate enough flow to keep the pump happy.

What did you guys use?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Myself I have access to a band saw at work. Really simple. But the piece got jamed in the saw and I almost lost 2 fingers. To make matters worse the piece of pipe flew back at me and struck me in the chest!!! This wasn't some little bans saw either. It stands over 8 feet. Pretty powerful!!!! Wouldn't have thought twice on taking my two fingers!!!

On a side note just be careful what ever way it gets cut!!!:biggrinbo

Here's a picture of mine.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Well, it seems that OSD and I built them simultaneously but, I will let you call them OSD overflows if you like. :-)

I used a 1/4" router bit in a rotary saw (big dremel or small router). My slots are slightly tapered. I did the taper so that the capacity to flow water increased non-linearly as the water rose.

I wore a lot of ABS chips, but, endangered no fingers. :-D
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I have a 1/4" square(ish) routing bit for my standard issue dremel. I used that with a plunge router attachment to carve up the 1/4" acrylic baffles in my sump.

I can't see using the plunge router on a pipe without losing body parts. Can I use the router bit just in the dremel or am I risking fingers?

Cheers!

I'd be careful. I'm sccared to death now. Every time I use something now at work I think to myself "Ok am I going to be losing a finger in the middle of this or electricute myself ??" Sad to because I use alot of tools that I can easily get a finger or tongue (Spelling) caught in!!!LOL Oh common you can't tell me that you all don't stick your tongue out when your using a drill in an hard to reach spot. Or at a router and you know full well your fingers shouldn't be that close to the spinning blade so you concentrate real hard not to lose an end of a digit!!!LOL

Or is that just me????LOL
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Hmm... maybe I'll put it in the bench vice & hold the dremel with both hands then...

Cheers!

What I did was clamp the work (with a squeeze clamp to the bench) and worked the rotary saw manually. The end result shows this was a manual effort. ;-)

I had the move the work every 3-4 slots, but, it doesn't take very long overall.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

If the water is climbing up to high on the teeth you can ... cut them (the teeth) deeper or make the openings wider on every 2nd tooth, lower the entire basket if it's not glued in place or dial the pump back a bit if your pushing over 7 times turnover rate.
    Rob

Does it matter if I build one with no teeth? I could put a strainer in the smaller hole so no inhabitant could go in my drain?

Thanks Rob,

I left the reducer and the "riser" pressure fitted so I can change both my basket and it's height without too much work.

I might have to figure out where to put a couple gallons of water while I do that, but I'm only looking to gain 1/4 - 1/2 inch.

I think I need to widen the openings to be honest. I want more dry space on the basket to help convience critters to stay in the display.

For the $2.00 one of these costs, I think I'll buy a couple more & experiment.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast