Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i need help with my sump

i got a 20g long to go along with my 35g tank. i was thinking of making the drain and return cross each other so the return is on one side of the sump and the drain on another, the question is i want to make a refugium too so what line should i have in the refugium and which on the other side?
    Vu

Do you have skimmer in the setup?

Check this thread:
    http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...&threadid=6915

Also check:
    http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

You might want to either tee off the return pump to feed a smaller amount of water to the refugium or run a small pump from the return area into the refugium if you can't spare any from your return pump.

Typically, you only want a small amount of current through the refuge, like 1-200 GPH.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Are you planning to divide the sump into sections using baffles?
    Nick

yes i'm going to be using baffles to divide the sump, and i'm also using a skimmer.
    i can;'t find any silicone that says it's aquarium safe, where can i get this stuff?
    Vu

so i should drain into the refuge and the return should be in the equipment section?
    and i need something to slow down the flow from the drain in the refuge?
    Vu

Melev's sump

No, you don't want to slow down the drain (this will lead to a flood of your display).

You can set it up so that some of the drain water flows through the refuge (or all of it if the flow isn't too high).

Look at this picture. The drain feeds the refuge and then the baffles trap the bubbles before the water gets to the return pump. Melev has also build a tower for the return to kill some bubble (and noise) in the corner.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Aquarium safe silicone (actually says so on the container) can be found at CTC. It is a mastercraft brand product in the weather stripping section.
    If you want to incorporate you refuge into your sump you may want to change the layout a bit. Many will take a tank and divide it into 3 chambers. one end being the sump / equipment bay, the other end being the refuge and the middle being the return to tank bay. Once you understand the concept you can set it up in many different ways.
    Rob

ctc? is that canadian tire? my sump is a 20g long what is the best way to divide it into 3 sections?
    equipment-->refuge-->return
    Vu

The product you want is available at most hardware stores. If you read the labels the ones you don't want to use will say not for aquarium use. The one that I used is as follows;

GE Silicone I, 100% Silicone Rubber

Of course now that I am reading the tube it does contain a special preservative that resist mildew and is intended for kitchens and baths.

There is another one that has the same name, however, the tube is white with grey and black lettering and outlines. It does not say kitchen and bath. My LFS sells this one for $10 a tube and Home Depot sells the same one for $5.

It has been in operation for a month now with no ill effects so it must be OK.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

If you go equipment-->refuge-->return, then the full volume of the sump has to flow through the 'fuge. If instead you go equipment --->return<--- 'fuge, you can have slower 'fuge flow.
    Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast