Thread: T5 lighting

T5 lighting

Hello everyone,
    I was wondering what a guy like me would need to start out with some T5 lighting. I already have 2 250w MH 10K ARC's so these would be strictly atnics. Ballast bulbs that kind of stuff. How much a well. I see that Ivan got the bulbs on now. Probably a good time to start. Any info would be great.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Well, me and Johnny had a big debate in another thread about this. They are very good but not worth your $$$$$. Just go VHO, $$$$$$ better spent
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Banned
    They are very good but not worth your $$$$$.
    If they were very good wouldn't they be worth the money?

Just go VHO, $$$$$$ better spent
    Normally I may disagree but not in this case. In a 75g the light will not penetrate all the way to the bottom giving you a colour shift in the bottom. T12VHO's will go to the bottom and keep the colour through out the tank.

Cool

apperently the VHO actinics [URI] are better. not sure why, something to do with the range there in.

ijo
    I've seen these lamps in action and I don't think you will notice a color shift half way down your tank. Don't let the 55 watt label fool you... they are very bright.

I agree with Johnny... you can't beat the URI super actinics... but if your on a budget... there is a big difference in the 2 setups
    -you can run 4x T5's on a $55 workhorse 7 ballast
    -the lamps are half the price and hydro
    -Longer Life

I'm using Coralife VHO 110W actinics & I haven't notice any problems getting light to the bottom of my 90G. It's 4" taller than a 75G and I have my lights suspended about 5" overtop of the tank.

Granted I'm still cycling all I've got are fan worms & hitch-hikers.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Banned
    Originally posted by IJO
    I've seen these lamps in action and I don't think you will notice a color shift half way down your tank. Don't let the 55 watt label fool you... they are very bright.
    I'm not trying to argue it and I'm a big fan of T5's but, I did try to use T5 actinicís on my 250g and I found that the T5's didn't fluoresce the corals on the bottom as much and there was a bit of difference in the colour in the light at the bottom. When I switched to T12VHO's it was all fairly uniform. I'm also very picky so you may not notice it.