Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purple Firefish

Purple Firefish

Actually what I want is a pair of Helfrichi Firefish, but they're not currently in the budget.

Anyway I'm keeping an open topped tank, I'm reading that these guys are jumpers...

If I pick up a pair are they destined to become a cat treat or is the jumper claissification over-rated?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I've never known these gobies to jump. I have the purples and have had the reds. they tend to stick close to the bottom actually.

Yeah that's part of what's confusing me. I'm reading they're generally deep water fish, yet they find 1/2" openings to jump through.

I'm beginning to think it's because people keep them in nanos. It could be they'd be happy hanging out near the bottom of a tank if it's deep enough. If it's not they look for "deeper waters" and jump out.

I dunno if a 90G is deep enough though if this is true. My complete set up is likely less than a partial for your tank

Cheers!

I've had a Purple Firefish for over a year in my 55 gallon tank. He's never tried to jump and like Johnny Rock said prefers to stay near the bottom. They're beautiful fish!

When I got mine about a year and a half ago I keept him in my 30g, went streight down and never came up passed the half way mark. Now he has been in my 120g for 6 months and I can see him all over the place but never realy over the rock work. He actually comes out and competes for food against tangs and anthias. They defenetly are troopers.

Oh yeah both of the tank I kept him in had open back hoods.

I unfortunately experienced the opposite. In my 120 with only 3 other fish, I put in a pair of purple firefish...well I thought they were a pair. One was totally more aggressive than the other. It would chase the other one away at every feeding, nipping at it's tail. Every single time the poor guy came out of the rock work, no matter where in the tank, he'd chase it back in. Open tank...2weeks later, found fish half-way across the living room. I would suggest that only when they are stressed they will jump.

Jeremy

Hmm... the stressed angle is probably likely.

I think I'll try a pair once I'm set up.

Did you have a lot of rock in the 120 for the other fish to hide in? I'm wondering if they don't get along if that might help.

I'm hoping for a male & female. I doubt I'll get baby firefish in my 90, but it would be nice if they liked each other...

Cheers!

I kept a purple firefish for one year in a 65 gallon tank.

Then, I found him on the floor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast