Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

yellow tang addition...

I am planning on adding another fish to the 77 gal. I have 2 percula clowns and a lawnmower blenny. I was thinking about a yellow tang but read recently that tangs should be added last due to aggression toward new additions.. Is this everyones experiance?

I would love eventually to have a powder blue. Is it a problem to keep the two tangs together?

Any other suggestions? So many to chose from....

Thanks for the info...

Ray

IMO a yellow tang in a 77g is ok but two tangs may be pushing it especially when they grow to full size. A powder blue requires a bigger tank ~100g. I hear they grow up to 8-10".

Yes tangs should be added last as they are very aggressive towards new additions.
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

Hey Ray, I have not had any luck with PB's in with other tangs. They seem to stress out very quickly. My understanding was the PB would be the most aggressive, but not in my case. I have a similar size tank, I currently have 2 Yellow Tangs and Naso Tang. Very little aggression. I have also added Butterfly's to my tank after the tangs, also very little aggression. I could be lucky, but my thoughts are if you keep well fed, aggression should be reduced

How about this then for an eventual fish list for a 77 gal with 53 gal sump/ refujium:

2 percula clowns
    1 lawnmower blenny
    1 pajama cardinal
    1 purple fiirefish
    1 yellow tang

Is that pretty much saturation? Or could I put a mandrin in there?

I also have the requsite clean up crew.
    77 Gal Mixed reef -33 gal sump -20 gal fuge
    440 watt vho lighting - 2 watt moon lights

I may be pushing the bar in my tank but I have the following with a very basic setup (no sump)

3 tangs
    2 butterfly's
    2 dwarf angels
    1 damsel
    1 lawnmower
    1 jawfish

and as of this point no problems. The only problem I have run into is making sure most of the fish can fend for themselves if I have to go out of town. I found out copperband butterfly's are not a good choice for me as they will not each veggy and like to be fed often, so not a good vacation fish, unless you have someone to to come in and feed.

thanks mguy...that gives me some ideas....
    77 Gal Mixed reef -33 gal sump -20 gal fuge
    440 watt vho lighting - 2 watt moon lights

In My Experience... Yellow Tangs are agressive to similar shape tangs. Like another Yellow or a Purple. I have a Yellow Tang and a Bristle Tooth Tang and they are Best Buddies!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Hey Jonah,

Looks O.K. to me. I think you could get away with a second tang if they were both small and you had a good skimmer. By the time they outgrow that tank, which they will, you will already have the upgrade bug. Duplicating mguy's stocking list would be pushing the envelope a little bit, although, I am sure if he has had them for any length of time, they were probably added in slowly and small. I have a Yellow and a Hippo in a 110 and there is no way I would add a third one. It would look too crowded.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

jonah, your fish list looks ok and a manderin would be ok as long as you have a large enoughpod pop to satisfy his needs.

mguy, i wish you the best of luck with your fish. i am far from being the tang police as i have two in my 90g although, im scared that you will run into problems with 5 large fish in that size tank. jmo but i cant see how you can keep up with the nutritional needs of those fish without greatly polluting your water. also, a naso tang grows very large quickly and will out grow your tank soon (if he has not yet). naso tangs usually need at least 180g (6 foot) to do well.

Jonah, your tank is pretty small but i know someone who has a 65g and has 3 tangs...yellow, naso and hippo. I myself have the 3 same fish and i am adding a powder blue in 2 weeks. I personally think that the yellow tang is by far the most aggressive and extremely territorial. The only fish he hasen't shown aggression was my hippo but he was half the size when i added him. People say that naso's, ptb's and most tangs need a 6ft long tank but i think that is incorrect. The issue is more when you have 3-4 tangs, they need space so they dont walk over their feet. They all need a seperate sleeping ground behind rocks. A yellow and a hippo are a good match in my opinion although i think hippo's are really neurotic. Also, a yellow really stands out because of his bright colors and they are both easy to keep. Try to get them small or one small and one medium. Take your time when buying it...dont rush things.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast