Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Calcium question

Since I plan to start stocking corals within the next few weeks I went out and baught some Kent Marine Liquid Reactor from Ivan. It takes care of calcium/alk in one shot. Since I've got a small 10G nano ... the bottle should last me quite a while. I've tested my calcium and my alk before starting to dose the product and the values I found were
    calcum: 340
    alk: 7
    They say on the bottle to add the product in a high flow area of the tank so I thought what better area than the return going to the sump. So I added a slightly smaller than recommended dose and I tested again a day later and my calcium and alk values are the same. Now I know that it can take a few doses before I start to see some results (it says so on the label) but what I'm wondering is that I'm also running carbon in the sump. Would the carbon somehow filter/absorb out the supplement or is it still making its way into my tank?

Thanks,

Steph

Carbon will not touch those additives. You are OK.

Go slow on the dosing. 10 gallons could get way out of balance in a hurry. It is easy to put more in. It is really hard to take out.

Thanks for the info Bvoss. I'm dosing smaller than required doses and checking my params everyday. I'll make sure not to add too much.

I almost tried that product about one year ago. I changed my mind after reading on Reef Central Randy’s ( chemist ) comments on the product. According to him, this product cannot work very well in practice. I encourage you to do a search on his forum.

I presume your alk value of 7 is expressed in dkH and not in meq/l.

Beware of certain test kits as well. For calcium, I strongly suggest Salifert if you want accurate readings.

Dosing Kalk isn't a big deal for a nano. I use 1/4 tsp per gallon mixed in RO water.

This gets split between 2 2 liter coke bottles and I drip it slowly enough that it takes almost 3 days to drip 2L into the tank.

My tank's at 10dKH and 420 Ca.

I was using the kent additives (I've tried liquid reator, super buffer, and turbo Ca) but I've found it really doesn't matter how you use them, they don't work very well. About the only thing I found they do well is freak out my protien skimmer & put it in "over drive".

Kalk works & the small bottle I've got I've barely dented in 6 months for the nano. I suspect the 90G will use a tad more lol.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Thanks for the info guys ... I'll look into the product. How do you keep you calcium up Krugar? Is Kalk for both alk and calcium?

Kalk does both Alk & Ca. You will occasionally have to add something for alk with kalk & I'm still looking for something better than Kent's products.

It just hasn't been a priority recently. The 90G is taking up my "free" time so the nano's in a holding pattern. I'm only keeping it going until the 90 is ready to take everything from it & then it'll be a QT / hospital tank.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

ohh and yes 7 is in dkH

Cool

on a 10g nano to be honest I wouldn't do anything else but water changes IMO. maybe adjust your salt mix [depending on brand] to bring alk up if really low but I wouldn't worry.

I'd have to agree with johnny, here. It's so easy to do parameter stabalizing water changes on a nano, why bother with additives?
    What type of salt are you using?
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast