Thread: QT questions

QT questions

Yeah I'm upto here now

Anyway, I'm been beating QT threads to death with google and likely read waaaay too much information.

So really what I had in mind was a 10G tank with a couple of screw in 50/50 lights, and a used sea clone skimmer for filtration and water movement. Add 2 & 3" pvc fittings for hiding spots & fill it with tank water from my 90G.

Treat all new fish with cupramine for 4 weeks as per thier instructions, daily 10% W/C, and then into the 90G if eveything is okay.

Hyposalinity seems to be too much of a PITA, so I'm not going there. Freshwater dips don't appear to be a requirement if I'm blanket treating with copper.

Does that sound like I'm hitting the mark? Copper is going to kill off any nitrifying bateria so a bio filter is useless. I can't use carbon because it'll remove the copper. Thus the protien skimmer.

Some species I'm not entirely sure how to QT. For example would a blenny eat spirulina tabs in a QT tank? What would you feed it? Dragonettes are way more problematic, how the heck to you QT one of those?

Comments / suggestions?

Thanks!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I have a small quanrantine as well and i have added a uv lamp on it.....kills every free floating thing
    Derik...

i would avoid using copper unless it is the only product that will treat a know disease. Copper is difficult to dose correctly and difficult to manage. It is hard on fish when not used correctly and using correctly is as stated difficult. I would be inclined to treat all new fish wit ha broad spectrum anti biotic for bacterial infections present or not and once that is done treat for ICH with something other then copper.
    Rob

As far as I can find the only 2 proven treatments for ICH are hyposalinity (6 weeks recommended) or cupramine (3 Weeks recommended, even though the manufacturer suggests 2 weeks.) This seems to be somewhat of a holy war, with each side convinced the other is tourturing their fish lol.

The third would be the 3 day tank dance, but that sounds like it would be pretty stressful.

What are you using then as an anti-biotic & ICH treatment?

What makes dosing copper hard? Are the test kits difficult to interpret?

Oh & how would you QT something like a blenny and / or a dragonette?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Copper is readily absorbed by many things including the fish themselves. Every time you change out some water you have to dose it correctly before you add it to the tank. You need to test its levels often to confirm the dosage level. Accidental overdosing by even small amounts can do serious damage to fish and shorten their life spans or kill them out right.
    Copper is effective but it is a heavy metal and is rather poisonous.
    As of lately I have been using NOX ICH for ICH out breaks and most bacterial infections. It has worked very well for me now on 2 occasions when I had issues. It is also rather poisonous but IMO it is easier to use. Both products will kill filter system bacteria so mechanical filtration is all you can do along with water changes.
    Rob