Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    783

    MH lighting question

    I am doing a light upgrade for my 55g reef tank. I am planning on adding 2 175w MH lamps ( not sure on whatbrand or K yet) just know I will be using icecap ballasts. I already have 4 95w vho lamps (2 atinic and 2 10000k) as well as 2 50/50 65w pc lamps in the canopy. I was planning on taking the PC's out (going to use them for a sump fuge combo for a 125). But the problem I have is in the tanks width. Its only 12'' wide. and most reflector assembelys I found so far for the MH setup are 12.25" wide with no room for the VHO's. Is there any way I can make a reflector to house both sets of lights and if so what material can I use. Also if any of you guys have any others suggestions or comments about this let me know.
    The main reason for the upgrade is to be able to get into crocea clam and entry level sps. As well as betterment of lps in tank already. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member DARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,765
    You might want to take a look at these...

    reflectors

    They have an area where VHO can be added on the sides. Like you said they are abit wider then your tank but could be wedged into the canopy.

  3. #3
    Moderator Krugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,174
    If it comes down to it, you can make your own reflector out of aluminum. All you need is a dremel with a polish pad, some elbow grease & a lot of patience.

    Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    783
    With making your own reflector what angles and measurements would you need to follow to make sure light goes where you want it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    126
    The Angle of incidence = the angle of refraction

    That's about all the help I can give

    Good luck!
    Chad

  6. #6
    Moderator Krugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,174
    I like the law of the hairy eyeball:

    Bend it 'till it works

    Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    783
    Damn I should have paid a whole lot more atention in phsyics. LOL Well now what about K what do you think I should go with to avoid the yellowish look?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    126
    Haha... Yeah.. sometimes good old brute force and ignorance is the solution..

    Just like how my favorite tool in my toolbox is my 18" prybar.
    I call it "The negotiator"

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    783
    I'm a marine engineer on an oil rig so I know all about brute force and ignorance,
    or as I call it the strong back weak mind syndrome.

  10. #10
    Moderator Krugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,174
    Physics is just going to complicate the hell out of it.

    But if you wanna know, the law of reflection:

    Under ideal conditions, the angle of incidence always equals the angle of reflection.

    Think of playing pool, without any spin on the ball & that's pretty much the law of reflection.

    The law of refraction however (Snell's law) is how light refracts through a clear media, one of which is water.

    If you're trying to reflect light into a mirror on a telescope you're going to need to pay attention to the physics.

    If you want to get more light into your aquarium for your coral, beat it until it complies will get you 80% or more of the way there. The other 20% is going to cause head-aches and nose bleeds.

    Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Lighting question
    By wend121 in forum DIY - Do it Yourself
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-18-2009, 12:02 AM
  2. Lighting Question
    By horsehunter in forum Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-27-2006, 03:19 AM
  3. T5 Lighting Question
    By cbsmith in forum Reef Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2005, 01:50 PM
  4. Question: Lighting up a 20L
    By ak_sniper in forum Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-08-2004, 04:31 PM
  5. VHO lighting question
    By nbreau in forum Reef Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-28-2003, 06:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •