Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice please...

Well, I am debating on wether to order a Copperband Butterfy or not..
    I have quite a substantial outbreak of aptasia.. too much now that dousing Joe's juice would be a HUGE event and take all day... It's even covering my favorite star-polyp/red mushroom rock, causing most of my polyps to hide even all day. My concern is that I have a large feather duster that I love..and little feather dusters as well.. that the Copperband may eat... and a few other colonies of Anthelia and Star Polyps...
    What would you all reccomend to do?

your feather dusters will almost certainly be eaten by the copperband.

If you want to keep the feather dusters you could set up a nano tank for them until the copper band's done it's job & then find a new home for the copper band.

The risk is that the aiptasia will come back once the CB is gone, or that the CB won't eat it.

Have you tried peppermints? They will help contol some aptisia. Certainly not a gaurentee, but neither is the CB.

There's a nudi that only eats aptasia (I forget the name right now) You're garuenteed it'll eat them, the problem is once they're gone you have to either find a new home for the nudibranch or raise your own aptasia to feed it.

Other than that, as much of a PITA as it sounds, directly feeding them something that kills them is the only thing that worked for me.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Will they ever go away completely? I've been dosing them with Joes juice and I thought they were all gone then I look in a couple days later and theres another one or two!!.Dam Things!!!!
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

It's about as much fun as getting rid of red slime. Patience & persistance, but yeah you can eventually get them all.

They're masters of hiding & can come back from surprising small pieces. So if you're noticing they come back, you may need to move some rock work around to find the one that's hiding on you. They have more than one way to reproduce, the buggers.

A nano is much easier to do this in, but even in a 10G tank it took a couple months of zap & regrow before they stopped regrowing.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

joes juice did the trick for me, but i only had about two or three
    Albert
    My Photos

well I would rather give away my large feather duster than have my tank overrun with Aptasia.. Maybe I will get the copperband. Has anyone ever had a problem with them nipping at star polyps and other sofites?

What do CB eats? im curious as i have million of aptasia in my fish tank. some you can say are enourmous ( size of a golf ball)
    Newbie in training

You can't count on a CB fly eating all your aptasia just because the two are in the same tank. If I were you I would start killing those buggers off yourself. Still get the CB if you and your tank are ready for it ... but don't get it with the expectation of it eating all your aptasia.
    Rob

I have mainly sps in my fish tank.
    maybe 2 patch of zoo's
    will he touch any of those?
    Newbie in training

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast