Thread: My new T5HO's

My new T5HO's

I just set up my T5HO’s on my 33g over the weekend and all I can say is wow. When I plugged in the light for the first time it seemed dull even looking at the bulb. They were retro’s so I just had it on the counter pointed up. After I plugged the other bulb to make sure they both worked, I unplugged them and put them over the tank. I put them on timers so I get the actinic come on first for the dusk/dawn effect.

Well the next day the actinic’s came on and I was a bit bummed. The corals didn’t seem to fluoresce as much under the 420nm as they did under the old 460mn actinic light. Will they start to fluoresce again in time or will I need to find a 460mn T5HO?

When the 10k T5HO came on it seemed brighter than last night. I thought it may just be that it looked brighter over the tank but may not be any brighter so I took a look under the hood. Wow was that dumb. Needless to say it was now very bright and left me with a flash spot everywhere I looked for a few minutes. Is it normal for T5HO’s to need some ‘burn in’ time?

After my vision returned to normal that evening, I looked at my tank and I was surprised. I have shimmer lines just like the ones you get with MH. The surface isn’t rough but it is wavy and the shimmer lines are very noticeable. Well I hope these 2 T5HO’s will really be an ‘upgrade’ from my old 4 T8NO’s, but only time will tell.

I think all lights need a burn in time. I think it's usually round a week or two.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

That's good to know as I'm going with T5 too... soon anyway.

Which retro kit did you get? how much if you dont' mind telling.
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Corals: zoosss, mushrooms, hammer, torch, fogsprawn, blasto, crocea clam, RBTA
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.

I got the Helios T5HO 36" kit. It comes with the bulb, reflector, and built in ballast for $50 each. Here is the 10k I got. Here is the actinic that I got. I bought them from a LFS that was having a renovation sale so I got them on sale, $105 out the door.

Oh Helios one, thanks

Have you notice any improvement for the actinic in makeing the corals fluorescent after the bulb being burn-in for a long time?
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.

Well I have noticed that the corals do fluoresce but, it's different. My one zoos mouth was a bright yellow with a hint of green but now is bright green. My ric never really fluoresced but now is a neon green. Some things pop now where they didn't before but others are dulled down. I like how the lights look when they're both on. I guess I'll have to get corals that fluoresce under the 420nm light or maybe the corals need time to adjust to the new light to give me the colour I want.

cool that's interesting. I'm getting a new T5 fixture but may end up getting an extra 36" Helios actinic too for a bit more blue-er look.

So the Helios bulb says it's actually 420nm (true) actinic? since most other T5 actinics are only 450nm blue bulb and I'm having a hard time finding a 420nm one except the ATI one.

Yep, the Helios T5HO is 420nm true actinic. It looks purple and the fixture is really 35" so it will fit in the 36" fixture.

Nice, thanks a bunchhyeah: