Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Question Salt water problems

I am a new user , I have just recently got an aquarium because I just recently found a very rare lobster . I have it in my tank now but don't know much about caring for salt water creatures. I have tank only and I want to know what I need to purchase to keep my friend alive and well.I don't even know what to feed him . I tried Shrimp pellets but he doesn't seem to have much of an appetite. I've had him now for about three weeks . I would need to purchase a chiller I beleive but when you don't know much it's hard to get off on the right foot . Someone out there willing to give me a few much needed tips.

Heres a tip research b4 you put the life of something at risk. Now use the search engine on here to find out everything you need to no about keeping a sw tank. Use your own brain instead of trying the easy/lazy way out.

What do you mean you found a very rare lobster?
    If it was from the ocean do it a favour and put it back until you have reseached it.
    We need more Indians!

Steve is a little harsh but none the less correct ... Do some research before trying to keep anything in your tank. The lobster is likely not very hungry because the tank is likely cycling based on him being in there for about 3 weeks.
    Have you tested the water conditions?
    Are you using mixed SW or SW collected from the ocean?
    Have you checked him out at night when he would be active... he's a night critter.
    Chillers are very costly and I would not spend the kind of $$$ needed to get one to keep a small tank with a lobster in it.
    have you done any water changes?
    What do you have as a filter?
    The questions to be answered go on and on and research will answer a lot of them for you.
    WELCOME to the board by the way.
    Rob

A very good piece of info that I don't see posted very often is to go to your local fish store or here online, and order a SALTWATER beginners book. Its the first thing I did when I bought my first tank and it really helped get me started. also, feel free to ask many questions here as most reply's are very friendly especially for beginners. hint hint STEVE 666

Yeah a good book goes a long way, so does a good internet connection. What else do you have in there besides saltwater and the lobster? If you want some good reading, start here

Lobsters (depending on their size) may need a lot of filtration. Carbon, skimmer, etc.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Talking I hope it's not this one "Ducker is that you"

(Really) rare lobster caught in Nova Scotia
    Last Updated Thu, 05 Dec 2002 19:34:38 EST
    CBC News
    CAPE SABLE ISLAND, N.S. - A rare lobster recently caught in southwestern Nova Scotia may be better suited to a museum than to be served with butter on a dinner table.

Melanie Cottreau of Cape Sable Island harbours a half-albino lobster that has both male and female sex organs.

"It's completely split down the middle," said Cottreau.

"This feeler's the blue and that's the regular (red) colour. If you turn him over it's the same thing ... him or her."

The Cottreaus call the two-toned lobster Ducker. It ended up in their saltwater lobster pound, where it's raising quite a stir.
    People in the area say they've seen all-albinos, ones with Ducker's colour scheme, and hermaphrodites, but never all the traits on the same crustacean.

"This is a very rare animal," said biologist Doug Pezzack of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. "It's maybe once or so a year we get an animal that's two different colours and every few years we'll get an animal that's male on one side, female on the other."

Cottreau doesn't plan to dine on Ducker, but to donate it to a worthy cause. The Lunenberg fisheries museum near Halifax has already asked to put the lobster on display.

The DFO said the Lunenberg museum would make a good home for the lobster. They say even though Ducker is a rare catch, it apparently lacks any real scientific value.

But the scientists do say they'd like to check Ducker out, purely out of curiousity.

O.k , first of all , Steve 666 please don't answer any of my questions. My first time on here and nearly quit until I seen Rob's reply . Look , I am a lobster fisherman , and right now we're at the end of the season . A really busy time for me . Not much time to do much research. I looked a few things on the internet but when you don't know what to look for , it can be a bit frustrating .My lobster is a blue lobster , one in 20 million. You really think I was gonna release him to do research on how to keep something I would never probably see in my lifetime again ? I talked to older fishermen that have fished for over 50 years and had never seen one before . I am using salt water that i brought off the boat . At first I was changing 20 liters every day because I couldn't find anything or anyone that could help me . I got up to go fishing at 3:30 am , just got home at 5:30 pm . Gonna shower , eat , And probably relax for an hour or two and probably go back to bed to get up at 3:30 again . Not much time for research right now . Not that I'm too lazy or looking for the easy way out but thought maybe there would be friendly people on here that could give me a few hints so I would be able to keep him alive until I would have A bit more time to do more intense research . I have the lobster , snail ,thinking they might help me keep the tank cleaner and I also brought home some perch, thinking if anything went wrong in my tank that hopefully the perch would die off first and it would give me somekind of warning. then I would change my water with fresh one . Right now , the perches aren't looking too lively , some lying on their sides. making me panic a little bit . My water temp. ranges from 75 to 80 degrees . Having a hard time keeping it cool.I am putting ziplock bags of frozen salt water every night and even during the day to try to keep it cool. Having a hard time doing so.I think that might be the reason my perches are dying.What should I check for in my tank . Levels of what ?I had quite a bit of trouble at first with cloudy water but since I quit changing my water so often , it got better a bit. Any little bit of "fiendly advice " would be appreciated . thanks . , Beebob

OK don't let anything that dies in the tank stay there for long. Keep doing the BIG water changes if possible put him in a container in the basement or cooler part of the house. Light is not likely needed and would only add heat. When you find the time set up a filter system.
    In the mean time get some circulation in there with a power head. An air pump and a good wood air block will do in a pinch.
    Rob

Thanks for replying so quickly . I have an Aqua tech 20-40 power filter , filters contain aqua tech pure activated carbon and I also have an Aqua Expert 600 aquarium air pump.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast