Need to figure the height of the water above my next overflows!!!

Hi,

I am actually at planning my sump ( I am going to drill it, in the next few days) and I need to figure how many gallons do I need to handle a power outage.

I have calculated that I need approximatly 2.5 gallons for my pipes( overflow pipe and return pipe), but my biggest problem is to figure what is going to be height of the water above my overflows.

I will have 2 OSD overflow made with 3inch ABS pipe. My return pump is going to pump approximatly 700GPH. What do you think guys is going to be the height of the water above my overflow if I don't really have teeths on my overflow?

Thank you very much guys!!

Steve

your going to have to cut teeth in the overflows first. If not your going to be pulling fish out of your sump daily.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

At 700 GPH, I would expect 1/2" to 3/4" of water to drain after the pump is turned off.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Thanx Cres and Mike, it is a great help!!

I think i will plan as a worst case scenario and do it like if it was going to be 1inch of water above my overflow... If it is to low I will lower the water and just change the elbow and the 3inc to 1 inch reductor so they will be taller...

Yeah I know Mike, I think I will use plastic net with like 1 cm holes ( the one use for outdoor small trees) to prevent fish from entering the overflow. I d'ont think this will make a big difference in the height of the water...

Do you think it is enough volume if my space for water fluctation in my sump is going to be 5 gallons? I will use an auto top-off unit and an other switch to prevent my pump from running dry.

Thank you guys!!

Steve

Assuming your 65 Gal tank is 18" front to back and 36" long, each .35" of water is equal to 1 gallon. So, assuming 3/4 - 1" over the overflow, you would get 2-3 gallons from that.

If your return line is protected by a check valve and/or a syphon break, 5 gallons of head room should be sufficient. You should plan to have some water come back through the return line.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I have plan it to have around 8 gal of space for power outage... So I think I am going to be fine with that. Yeah I will drill one or 2 holes in my return line to make a syphon break.

My last biggest concern is where I am going to drill my holes for my 2 overflow. I want the water level to be at lest as high as the black trim, but As long as I am not sure exactly how high is going to be the water above my overflow, I am not sure how near the bottom of the black trim I should drill the holes...

If I drill it to high... I will have to take the 2 overflow out and cut them a bit...

Well I think I will have to take a guess and see what it is going to do...

Thank you again Cres

You should drill at least 4-5 inches down. Get the plumbing you will use and use it to determine the required height for the holes. If you drill too close to the trim you will weaken the glass and make it hard to get the overflow in properly.

I'm not sure this was mentioned, but make sure you account for the water in your skimmer going back in your sump and also the siphon (sp?) from your return pipe unless you use a check valve...

-yvest

Just drill anti siphon holes in your returns, just under the water level. You just have to make sure they're not blocked during your maintaince.

I gave up on the check valve & the only flood I've had so far was my toddler gettng creative.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I didnt had tough to the skimmer !!!!!!

I thnik I will use boith, a chek valve and the anti syphon holes

Thank you guys!!