Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Water Quality Problem

Hey Everyone

New to Aquaria's forum and having some water issues (grrrrr) lol

For about a week now I've been having some troubles with my water.... When I do a water change its green and its cloudy looking in the tank. It doesnt seem to matter if I use RO water from the grocery store or treated tap water. Could it have something with the salt im using(Red Sea)?

I've been changing my water every day to every other day at 5 gallons from the tank. I was wondering if i should drain my tank and then refill it? Or keep up the water changes untill its finished doing whatever its doing?

My Perc Clown and snails(1 mexican turbo 1 sundial) seems to be doing fine for now but my corals (2 candy cane frags 5 heads in total) seem to be hurting from it....

Its a 15 gallon tank with a Miracles aquariums quad lighting 18w T5
    theres 2 aqua mini filters - One has bio balls and a spone the other has chemipure theres also a power head.

Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated

You are probably experiencing a Phytoplankton bloom. You may have to "black out" your tank for a day or two to get rid of it.

Would blacking out the tank hurt the corals/fish/snails?

welcome to the board lulu
    u don;t have to blackout your tank totally just reduce the time that the lights are on. try to feed less too. don;t drain the entire tank it might cause a small cycle and after u finished your bucket of salt i recommend getting instant ocean salt mix.
    did u try running come carbon in your filter?
    Vu

Thanks neotekz

No carbon just chemipure...if carbon will help ill grab some today.

Oh i just picked up a bag of instant ocean mix today too

Cheers Lisa

What would be the recomended amount to keep the lights on for?

not too sure myself how much is the minimum u can keep the lights on for but maybe try reducing it a few hours and maybe keep an eye on your candy cane, i dunno much about them so i don;t know how much light they need
    Vu

I agree with newguy about the bloom. How old is the tank? How long do you keep the lights on for, are there four bulbs and what type?
    Simply reducing the amount of bulbs and the photoperiod may take care of the problem, but you should know if you have any ammonia, nitrite or nitrate- these are all food to phytoplankton.
    BTW, chemi pure is a mixture of carbon and resins, so adding more carbon may not do too much.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

the tank is almost 3 months old
    There are 4 bulbs the came with the fixture but there 18 w T5 and the lights are on for 8-10 hrs the timmer doesnt always work =\

Everything seems to be doing fine except one candy cane it isnt "plumping" up anymore and theres mass of brown stuff at its mouth

my ammonia is reading .3 below same with nitrite, right now i cant test nitrate ( bought a test kit that says it test for both and it doesn't and none of the lfs had any in stock when i looked.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast