Thread: Pump Question

Pump Question

Just a quick question,
    The Instruction sheet on my mag 12 states..
    "1 1/2 inside diameter is the minimum hose soze that should be used for maximum flow"

Does this mean that from the pump's exit which is 3/4 I start of at 3/4 and then that I start with a 3/4 fitting and go up to 1 1/2 inside diameter pipe on my return to get the optimum flow?

thanks for your time
    Tic

Oh and just to confuse the issuse a tad more, my mag 7 don't say anything about the pipe size...so whats the optimum size for that?
    Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple

That really doesn't make any sense. You would think that if they want you to use a 1.5 inch hose that the pump would be setup to receive that size of hose. In any case if that is what they say .... you will need to use a 1.5 X .75 inch reducer at both the intake and exhaust sides of the pump.
    Rob

PondMaster recomends on all of their Mag pumps to use the hose double the size of the output fitting of the pump.
    So, if the fitting is 3/4", use 1.5" hose and 3/4"x1.5" reducer.
    If you use the pump underwater, no need for reducer on intake fitting.

No idea why Pondmaster doesn't fit the pump with 1.5" fitting.
    You've got the point, OSD.

thanks for the replies =)

Tic
    Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple

You're right. Use 1 1/2" tubing and use a reducing bushing right on the output of the pump that goes from 3/4" immediately to a 1 1/2" size. I used to use 3?4", then tried 1" tubing on my Mag pumps. Last year I went to 1 1/2" and the amount of flow increased incredibly. I definitely recommend usint the big size on the Mags.

Rob,
    It does make sense. Pressure rated pumps always have a smaller dia output. circulation pumps have the big ass output sizes. Mag pumps are pressure rated and for example, a Hammerhead, despite it's beastial size is considered to be a med. pressure or in otherwords, a circulation pump and this is why the output has an internal thread of 1 1/2" or external thread of 2" ( it's threaded both in and out on the output hole).

I just don't understand why the pump can't come with the 1.5 input and 3/4 X 1.5 bushing molded right into the pumps body.
    Rob

Probably because not everyone might have the space nor need for that much flow.

OK so it's not required for pump life or cooling it is only if you want MAX flow rates.
    Rob

Don't know about that for sure. They Do "recommend" it as people have mentioned it saying this in the instructions. I'm guessing the "recommended" way is indeed for "max" flow. But don't hold me to this..., I'm guessing now ( don't want the Mag lawyers knocking on my door now...).