Thread: tons of algea!!

tons of algea!!

Hi guys;

Over the past couple of months I have noticed a very noticeable increase in the amount of algea in my tank. Its gathering on the water pumps, the wires that connect to it.. on the temp gauge as well as the PH monitor cord...

I have also noticed my beautiful purple color rocks turning a shade of green.

How can I turn this cycle around? Help!!

Shel

PH is 8.23

p.s I noticed today my temp was too high. I couldnt tell because my temp gauge was green!
    100 Gallon
    Maroon Clownfish
    Japanese Swallowtail Angel Female
    100 pounds LR

More details would help. How old is the setup? What are you running for lights, how old are they, etc. Have you tested for the usual? Nitrates/phosphates.... how often do you do water changes? What are you using for makeup water?

setup is a year old
    VHO lighting on a timer.. i have the lights on about 12 hours a day
    I do water changes 1 time a month ... 20%. but i have been negalgting that in the summer a bit...

I will check for the other stuff now
    100 Gallon
    Maroon Clownfish
    Japanese Swallowtail Angel Female
    100 pounds LR

I would say test the water and see how it looks. What are you using for makeup water? How old are the bulbs and what bulbs are you using. Do you overfeed?

If you have not had this issue before then being tardy with your regular water changes is likely the cause combined with the heat. The heat will speed up biological activities in the tank so nitrate will be produced faster being that it is an end product of biological activities.
    Rob

Shel,

The high temp isn't helpful, but a tank with low nutrients will not grow algea even at 85 sitting in the sunlight.

The truth is that our tanks probably absorb more nutrients than process.

I was just at an IMAC lecture with one of our esteemed moderators. There was a biologist that was looking for nitrifying and de-nitrifying bacteria in a reef tank using DNA analysis. He couldn't find ANY de-nitrifiers, even in a DSB. In addition he found very few nitrifying bacteria. The conclusion seems to be that the Bentic algea on the rock and substrate absorb the ammonia before nitrifying bacteria can even get to it.

That explains why nitrates go up when you add things like a bio wheel or bio balls. You create a special environment that allows nitrifying bacteria to compete better with the bentic algea. Then there is nothing in the tank to get rid of the nitrate.

So what am I trying to say? Well it seems a tank can keep absorbing ammonia for along time. Then it has to start growing nuisance algea. The only solution is to export mass quanities of nutrients for a long time.

So it keeps coming to the same answer. Massive skimming and lots of macro.

Originally posted by Bvoss

So it keeps coming to the same answer. Massive skimming and lots of macro.
    Amen.