cleaner shrimp ?killed

I have (had ) two cleaner shrimp in my 77 gal. I came home the other day and both were gone. Found one later-- cut in half. Just wondering if an emerald crab might do this?

I only otherwise have 2 percula clowns, a lawnmower blennie, a royal gamma and a pyjama cardinal.

Should I be looking for something else?

They had been there 3-4 weeeks with no problems...

thanks

ray

Are you sure they are not molting? Time frame sounds about right. If one or both molted they will hide until the new exoskeleton is hard.
    Rob

No. They have molted before and this was not a molt. I can't understand what might have done it...
    77 Gal Mixed reef -33 gal sump -20 gal fuge
    440 watt vho lighting - 2 watt moon lights

Then perhaps it died and the crab started to feed on the body. Going for the mid section would make sense for a feeding scavenger. It's a bummer in any case. Hope the other one reappears.
    Rob

You don't have a mantis in there do you? I went through 3 cleaner shrimp when I had the one in my tank that I never knew was in there.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

I don't know. How did you find yours? Do they come out at night. this happened in daylight--while I was at work.
    77 Gal Mixed reef -33 gal sump -20 gal fuge
    440 watt vho lighting - 2 watt moon lights

eek mantis shrimp

Quote Originally Posted by mike536
    You don't have a mantis in there do you? I went through 3 cleaner shrimp when I had the one in my tank that I never knew was in there.
    I had 2 mantis shrimp in my tank. Many shrimps and crabs later I accidently found the culprit. At night we heard this loud banging sound. I thought it was the filter or light dieing. I was about to start replacing things when someone mentioned that it is the culprit of all my problems. If you hear that clicking/baning sound at night-start crying!!!! They are a real pain in the you know where to catch (they live in little holes that they make in the rock). They are not something you want, but sure explains all the problems I had!!!! Once the mantis shrimp got the death sentence, all my tank problems disappeared too!!!
    Good luck

Do you have equipment in the tank like a strong powerhead? Could be they were killed by a powerhead in the tank. I've lost a few shrimp over the years that way. They get too close to an intake possibly to go after a piece of food and that's the end of them. I have since ensured my powerheads are all livestock proof.