Actinic question

Is Actinic more for show or dose it benefit anything?
    How much should I have (for a 20g)

Thanks
    P.S. I'm french so I never make any typos......they are actual mistakes :sorry:
    I'm not in a rush.....but I am on a budget! :bigcry:

Both

The light spectrum of actinics is about what you'd expect to find where most coral live. That not to say that a good MH light won't provide for your corals, just that actinics hang out in exactly the right range.

But the best colours come out when you have both actinic and MH lighting IMHO.

How much for a 20G tank really depneds on what you want to keep. Fish only are the least light demanding, clams & sps will require a lot more.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

So a smart question now would be:
    If I have 92w of 67K daylight and 15w actinic.
    What can I keep?
    I want a clown, a royal gamma , (my wife wants a lawnmower blenny (she values personality more then looks. That's a good thing for me )) and probably some shrimps.
    I now have some snails and hermits. I was told an emerald crab would be good.
    As for corals ???? your suggestions will help me decide.

My tank is only 6 weeks old so I'm not putting all of this now.
    But I like to plan ahead.

What kind of lights? PC?

Fish aren't really light demanding. I had 2 small fish in my 10G nano with no problems, 4 small fish in a 20 isn't unreasonable. For fish only get what you like so you can see the fish & their colours.

As to coral, if it's your first tank try some easy lps (candy coral for example) and just about any softy (mushrooms, zoos, green star polyps, etc.) in order to "get your feet wet".

I'd see how much you enjoy that before getting into sps or more demanding coral. They require much the same care, just a lot more of it. More light, more flow, more time

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

My lights are spiral PC's.

Thanks.

You could up the actinic to be a closer wattage match to the daylight. You could also switch the 92 watt light to be 50% daylight / 50% actinic. Bulb choice is a very personal thing and can be expensive to experiment with.

There are softy tanks with only about 50 watts of normal output fluorecent (NO) light that work well and others with as much as 400 watts of metal halide (MH) plus some actinic.

It is also good to keep the actinic and daylight on separate circuits so you can turn on the actinics before the daylights and leave then on after the daylights are turned off. This gives you a sunrise and sunset effect instead of everything on, everything off.

With many coral, there is a fluorescing effect with the actinic only. This can be spectacular to see and as such, having an hour in the morning and an hour at night with actinic only is nice.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.