View Poll Results: What's the best skimmer for a 55g?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seaclone 100 (or 150)

0 0%
  • Red Sea Prism

0 0%
  • Red Sea Prism Deluxe (Not the Pro!! to much $$$)

0 0%
  • Jebo 180

0 0%
  • None of the above!

9 100.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Skimmer recommendations

I am thinking of putting together a 55g, and am looking a skimmer options.

Not sure what I want in it yet, small reef + soft corals mostly I guess. Lots of fish + inverts.

There are quite a few good deals on ebay, but I haven't found any good comparisons of the following models:

Seaclone 100 (or 150)
    Red Sea Prism
    Red Sea Prism Deluxe (same as above but with surface skimmer and media tray)
    Jebo 180

The price range for all of these is around 60-85 (USD), which is about what I want to spend.

Anyone use these skimmers? I'd appreciate some opinions on these models, what everyone thinks is the best buy.

I have used a Seaclone 100 on a 54gal before and it worked fine considering all the bad reviews that it gets. Now that I have a much larger skimmer to compare to I guess I see their point. You might want to consider waiting a few extra months and get yourself one of the Coralife Super Skimmers. They are not that far outside of your budget and they are getting very good reviews.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

swiseman, why do you say wait a few months, is the coralife super skimmer just coming out?

CSS for sure!
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Corals: zoosss, mushrooms, hammer, torch, fogsprawn, blasto, crocea clam, RBTA
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.

No, the skimmer is available. I was suggesting that if the Coralife skimmer is not within the budget you have set for the skimmer that mabey you should wait a few month and see if your budget changes. You will be happier if you wait and get a good skimmer rather than buy a less effecient skimmer now and have to buy the better one as well down the road.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

or you could buy my prism pro delux, worked well on my 65g
    http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...uct_ID=ps-rspp
    We need more Indians!

I can give the Prism (regular not pro) a big thumbs down. I had it on a 65 with a very low bio load and it didn't work well at all. If I would have waited I could of put the $100+ on my current skimmer and been further ahead.

My suggestion buy the best skimmer that you can afford. It seems you will either do it now or will do it later.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Yeah I've used a used-Prizm (regular) for awhile. It's ok for perhaps up to 20-30G max, IF you can find one cheap used and you have small bioload. I bought mine for $50 and sold it for $40..... so $10 to use it for the mean time I picked up a good skimmer (the CSS) sounds like a ok deal
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    jsimpson2148,
    There's a couple of things on aquariums that you don't want to skimp on... The most important (in my opinion) being the skimmer.

You should set aside a good chunk of money for a good one rather than throwing your money away on one of the 4 skimmers in this poll.

My suggestion, as everyone has recommended, is the Coralife Super Skimmer. However not the smallest one.

Generally, skimmers are rated with MINIMUM ratings. Mostly they are over-rated as well. A rule of thumb is to take the manufacturer's recommended tank size, and divide it in half.

That said, the smallest Coralife Super skimmer (CSS) is rated at being capable of handling 10-65gals. Divide that in half, and you get 5-32.5 gallons. Not good enough for your needs.

The next CSS skimmer in line is rated at handling 30-125 Gallons. Divide in half, 15-62.5 gallons. Perfect for your needs. Priced under $190 CDN (<$150us) as well.

The CSS skimmers are getting EXCELLENT reviews. Based on needle-wheel technology, you can't go wrong.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I would even go as far as getting the biggest versio (220G) CSS once and for all The price difference between 65 and 120G is more than $70... but the differece for 120G and 220G is only $40Cdn, for extra ~$30USD to 'upgrade' to 220G version (or ~100G-ish according to tang_man) sounds like a good deal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast