Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

where's the pods

I've been waiting for pods since setting up tank over 6 weeks ago.
    I try in vain to catch a sighting of a pod. Using flashlight and surprise night tactics,commando style, no infrared goggles unfortunately. I see nadda.

Could my rock be podless?
    Canons shooting coconut creme
    40 guns in a steady stream. :coolmad:

I doubt any LR can be podless, unless you dry or heat them up

May just take awhile for their population to increase to the point you can find them easily.

I first found the copepod(sp?), the very tiny ones, on the back dark corner of my tank, then sooner they were all over all the sides of the glass near the bottom... but later the population decreased quite abit.. maybe nutrient related?!
    For the bigger size pods, amphipod(sp?) they'r abit harder to find since they run away and hide quite quickly. I found quite a few hiding under the zoos and mushrooms. A few times I noticed my zoos suddenly closed up abit like a path (as if they'r touched) and then I saw there's an amphipod running under the zoos Fun stuffs
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Corals: zoosss, mushrooms, hammer, torch, fogsprawn, blasto, crocea clam, RBTA
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.

Oh ok thanks. We have been having heat waves since I set up and I was thinking the heat killed them.
    However, my wrasse has a chubby belly ths morning and doesn't appear to hungry so maybe she had a nice light snack?

If you want to see the pods, get rid of the fish. Most fish (and a Wrasse is high on the list) will keep the surviving pods in hiding. Thus a good reason to have a refugium. It will be loaded with them, and some will inevitably make it into the display tank, but, somehow, you won't see many there.

With my 75 I had a bunch of rock and sand in there and I could see pods in the bright midday light. They were everywhere.

After I added the Wrasse, Hawkfish, Pipefish, Pistol Shrimp, and now Goby, curiously, I haven't seen many.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Hmmm...
    I'll be getting a hang on refuge, definately thanks.
    I've already got the bug to move it all to a 55g but I figure I'll get my feet wet with the 25g for a year or so add corals,
    lights are coming this week and go slow.
    Since its only 25g, I'll prolly only be adding a goby.
    I wanted a mandarin, but worried about not having enough pods. With the 55g (future), I'll add a sump and maybe keep the mandarin in there.....
    Oh I love the future lol. Its always bright. heheheh

Forgive me, I'm just getting into all this but what are pods? And are they good or bad?

It is a generic term generally applied to anything small that moves in our tanks. Typically lviing in the sandbed and rocks they are more visible at night.

The vast majority of "pods" are friendly.
    See here:
    http://melevsreef.com/id/kritter2.html
    (4th section down)
    For a nice overview of some of the common ones. Amphipods, Copepods and Isopods are generally good. Sometime Mysis and Brine shrimp and Rotifers are considered Pods too. There are some less good ones, like "Red Bugs" and Cirolanid Isopod which respectively eat coral and fish.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

haha
    I have quite a few of these ones...
    They are funny because they run somewhat sideways.. lol

Mine are always doing flips in the cheato ... also pretty funny to watch

Yeah these little guys crawl all over the inside of my bio filter. They love to hide and only come out at night. They are a great snack for fish too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast