water movement in my 30 gal

I have a MaxiJet 1200 running in my 30 gal at the moment. it's at the back pointing up towards the surface. My problem is that I have a lot of water movement, as water just seems to circle in my tank (its hard to find low flow areas for some of my corals). I've been thinking of adding a second power head to create some turbulence.

So my question is what size power head would I be looking for. Does it have to run all the time, or should it be on some sort of duty cycle?

Also, any suggestions on how I should orient the two power heads.

another powerhead is a good idea- and putting one or both on timers is also a good idea to mix up the flow patterns a little. I'd go with something a little smaller than the one you have if it is moving so much water already.
    Orienting them will depend on you. You will have to play with positioning until you are happy with the movement in terms of calm spots and more turbulant areas.
    corals in general don't really like to be blown back all the time (maybe sps like it, but even they like some random patterns) but they wont mind a burst of solid flow in an irregular basis.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I was thinking of having the 1200 on all the time and then getting a 600 or something to be on half the time.

When you say putting both on timers, do you mean they're on for 30 seconds or so then off for 30 seconds. Or do you mean longer duty cycle?

What kind of timer would you use for these?

I just use regular rotary light timers and put them on for longer than 30 seconds- maybe one hour or two or three- at random intervals- sometimes they will overlap when on sometimes they wont- you should do it so that at least one pump is running at all times.
    At 30 sec intervals you will burn out the pumps in no time..
    Matt.

There's also a mod you can do to your maxijet powerheads to alternate the flow directions. You have to cut the nozzle on the powerheads and put them on a timer. Check it out

http://www.geocities.com/nivenboug/Cutmaxijets.html

Not too sure what kind of timer you could use to do this though. The author of that article mentions a wave maker but I remember seeing someone here use a "Xmas light blinker". You can search the forums for "maxijet mod"

Could be cheaper to do than buying another powerhead. Worth a look

Steph

How long of a duty cycle should the other pump have 3 or 4 minutes? (on then off)

maybe longer -it depends on how often you want to be changing them- the more frequent the turnover the more frequently they will wear. I usually put mine on several hour intervals..
    Matt.

Thanks matt. I think I'll try an on for 1 hour off for one hour to begin and see how that works.

Thanks for the link Steph. I think I'll try that mod too.