Skimmer questions

I have now set up my Sea Clone skimmer. My question is that I bought it used and it seems to be leeting out some air bubbles. Does this effect my aquarium at all? Or should the maxijet be sealed and not letting anything out? Also I have 2 Aquaclear 802's in my 50 gallon tank. Is there such a thing as too much water movement?

Thanks guys!

Too much water movement is possible but depends on the sandbed (if it is constantly churning, you need to reduce or redirect the flow) and it depends on the coral.

For example Xenia and Frogspawn (and similar ones) will not fully extend and will appear battered if too much current is hitting them.

The stony coral, on the other hand, seem to thrive with more current. This is where you find people using Hammerhead pumps (~6000 GPH) on closed loops on modest sized tanks (100-125 gal) and having good coral growth. A mushroom or Xenia would be blown clean off the rock at that current level.

As to the bubbles from the Sea Clone, nearly everyone who has one has some bubbles.

Are they a problem? If they are getting trapped under coral they can be. If the tank is completely filled with bubbles there are some who claim that it can kill fish (sticks to their gills). But, as others have stated a coral reef has bubbles at nearly all depths so they aren't dangerous, per se.

To reduce the bubbles, if they are causing problems or are simply unsightly, you can add a filter sock, or a bubble trap box. You can reduce the bubbles by reducing the air going into the pump or reducing the flow of the pump itself. But, optimizing your skimmer production and reducing bubbles in the tank may be competing requirements.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I noticed bubbles in the display tank at Oakville Big Al's. I asked Eddie about this air curtain and he said" Big bubbles is no problem but small micro bubbles like from skimmer is bad...very bad"- bad for fish and very bad for corals. It could cause death and even infection on the tissue"
    I trust Eddie- he seems to be knowledgeable.
    I have a lot of Patients

Yet again, it comes back to my question. So many people say that bubbles are fine and then others say otherwise. My powerhead is producing tiny bubbles. But I mean if everyone has these bubbles and nothing is dead. I'll let it go for now =)

Yes. Exactly. Some people say they are deadly. Some say they are fine.

I have yet to see a proper definition of a "micro bubble". To me, anything with a "micro" prefix is "too small to see" and therefore "micro"scopic. Again, my opinion, you should therefore never be able to see a micro bubble problem.

It is true that some coral and sponges in particular don't like exposure to air. I don't know if this includes tiny bubbles.

My opinion is that, bubbles that occur from water pouring into a tank, the ones that quickly surface, are a problem from the salt spray perspective, but, not otherwise. If your return is filling your tank with tiny bubbles that don't surface quickly and accumulate under coral and rocks, you should make adjustments to remove them. IMHO.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

You will want to keep "tiny" bubbles in your tank to a minimum. Unlike on the open reef they will accumulate in the tanks confined space, bother corals, move PH upward and interfere with your view.
    Rob