Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quarantine tank

quarantine tank

Hi

I'm looking for advice on the use of a quarantine tank. If I were to get a little 10 gallon tank to be used only when needed, how do I ensure the biological filtering bacteria is there before putting the new fish in? What do you guys think of the practice of having a little sponge filter running in the main tank, and when getting a new fish, move water and sponge filter over to quarantine? Know that I've just asked that question, I just realized that I would then need to throw out the sponge filter when done because I could contaminate the main tank, right?
    Is that the correct approach? Any other suggestions? Don't bother with quarantine? Like all other questions, there are always camps on both sides of the fence. Just trying to make an informed decision.

Thanks.
    thien

To jump start a Quarantine tank i would just some LR in and use your water from your main tank when you do a water change.HTH

:beer:
    Phins Up ^^^^^^^

"How I wish, how I wish you were here,
    We're just 2 lost souls sitting in a fish bowl,
    Year after year......."(Hope it was cycled!)
    Pink Floyd

Yes but if you treat your QT with med like copper forget your LR and do not put it back in the main tank !!!

OK, here is my opinion on the issue.

I think it is a PITA to maintain a quarantine tank so that every once in a while you can hold a new fish for a few days. I mean, you can't plumb it into your main tank, because then you can't use copper. I think that if you have a 10, 20, whatever small gallon tank, you will be far better served plumbing it into your main tank and making it into a refugium.

As for quaranining (I'm sure that is spelled wrong ), I think that this is what the LFS is for. Take MS for example. They bring in fish, store them in segregated tanks, and then sell them to the public (I also seem to recall that they treat those tanks with copper). It you want them to hold the fish they will, therebye eliminating the risk from you. This also eliminates the need IMHO for a quarantine tank.

Of course you pay a little more for this, but I think it is cheaper in the long run than running a seperate quarantine tank.

Now if IJO could turn his new basement into holding tanks, and still keep his prices................:biggrinbo

ijo
    Bristleworm... its tough holding fish for clients... you hold a fish for a couple weeks only to find out the client changed his mind... meanwhile you might of lost a potential sale.

The only way this would work is to sell quarantined fish at a little higher rate than fish that just arrived... Give the client the option of taking it at a discount now... or waiting and paying a little more. Whatcha think?

IJO

good points.

If a LFS/IJO develops a good reputation for properly quarantining fish and even treating it with meds, then I'm all for paying a little extra for that fish.
    thanks.
    thien

Ivan:

"The only way this would work is to sell quarantined fish at a little higher rate than fish that just arrived... Give the client the option of taking it at a discount now... or waiting and paying a little more. Whatcha think?"

Thant is exaclty how it shourld work, in fact this is what basically happens now anyway.

IMHO I think it depends on the type of QT and the Meds, Personally I'm against certain Meds ie: anti-biotics, they need to be dispensed according to the individual fishes needs, They have a negative effect on fish and only prolongs their life so that they die at the end users home (our tanks). The person dosing the fish also needs to be fully aware of the types of meds, anti-biotics come in two main forms and the doses are different for different fish and the diseases, in addition they are known to kill the bacteria in the gut of fish, rendering them incapable of digesting food and thus ensuring a nice slow death from starvation. Anti-biotics also decrease the immunity of fish making them more susceptible to disease etc and has the same effect as cyanide..
    Too many importers Med the fish and we have to deal with unexplained deaths etc...and retailers often don't seem to know of this bad practice, which is understandable, how do you monitor a diver from Indonesia??
    So back to the beginning I think a QT tank is good, and expensive, but so is an ich outbreak in the main tank!! and what's a small piece of L/R in a small tub? Some fish ie; Powder blue's are more prone to ich and transportation home or a stressful tank mate can make the QT a necessity.
    IME/O all fish should be quarantined before being sold to the public I conceder it responsible.
    I don't mean to be too harsh or upset anybody, but I if a raise in price means a healthy fish then that's ok with me! If not would the fish be returnable, due to disease that wasn't "caught" before being sold? And would you not loose customers if the fish are not healthy?
    Like I said I don't mean to offend, but I would have a bit of spare rock and a tub, just in case, as you never know......
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

ATC
    thien - a coouple of sponges in your refugium should be enough for one or two fish in a qt. if you don't treat the qt with meds, at the the end, rinse the sponges and back into the refugium at the end of the period. you can buy ammonia badges from mops that are really accurate (more that test kits) to let you keep a handle on the situation for water changes.

In our new set-up we're working on, we plan to have to 'fuges with one that can be isolated as a qt for new fish. If we happen to med the tank, what's the cost of some sand and maybe a piece of lr compared to the amount of $ we spend on our show piece fish and everything that we've got in our tanks compared?

bristleworm - the lfs here in hfx says they qt all thier fish upon request, but they just mean leaving the fish in question in the tank its in for two weeks. if they happen to get new stock in and need a tank, there goes the qt process on the fish.
    Aven

My experience with a QT tank is the following: set it up when you need it , use water from the main tank, pieces of PVC tubing for hiding and caves for the fish, a small PH for water movement, bare bottom easiest for cleaning, and treat as needed. After QT period rinse everything and back in the closet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast