Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Tank seems in trouble!! help

Hi guys

I need some help a.s.a.p. Throughout the summer months the tank was invested with algea everywhere... i mean everywhere to the point I coulsnt read the temp gauge. Everytime i did a clean up and scraped the galss the algea came back. I continued to do my regular water changes and that didnt seem to help. Perhaps i feed to much and food was decaying on the bottom, not sure.

All this while the fish seemed ok and were eating heathy but i noticed a slow decline in my clown trigger as was eating less and less and showing less movement.

My LFS told me to remove my sand from the tank as they suspected I might have an amonia problem and this was an easy step to get rid of trapped foods. I know this isnt the standard practise perhaps as the sand is benificail to the tank.

Anyways... after removing the sand and doing a major cleanup , 40% new water, the fish are not moving much and eating even less. My clown trigger seems near death as his stomache is very very thin, I mean VERY.

I gave a sample of my water to the LFS and they said it read fine. I dont have the exact readings and i dont think they tested for Amonia.

Its been 1 week since the major cleanup... and my tank looks good but not the fish. They are not eating much

ph is 8.4
    temp is 83
    salt 1.20

LFS didnt test for nitrate or amonia, they said calcium, alkinity was fine.

Guys... what can i do?
    I changed foods, nothing. I currently feed the guys Shrimp and Frozen Krill

Thanks for any help that can be provided...
    100 Gallon
    Maroon Clownfish
    Japanese Swallowtail Angel Female
    100 pounds LR

buy or borrow kits to check the amonia, nitrite and nitrate readings. I think you might of caused a nitrite spike from shifting sand around. I did the same thing just rearranging the rock in my tank. Nitrite spiked, lucky no fish in the tank at the time. High phosphate might of been your origional algae problem. Its too bad you didn't check for phosphate before doing anything to the tank....
    Having the test kits on hand is essential. Invest in the test kits for the future. Goodluck.
    Canons shooting coconut creme
    40 guns in a steady stream. :coolmad:

WOW ... WOW .. unbelievable. How in gods name could they have told you to do this ???? Anyway it is done but you should NEVER have removed the sand. Sorry to break the news to you but you have in effect removed a large part of the bacteria that break down ammonia to nitrite to nitrate etc.
    If I were you I would clean the sand and put at least 1 inch of it back in the tank unless you now intend to go BB. In any case add live bottled bacteria and prepare for a re-cycling of the tank even if it is only a mini cycle. Turn off the UV when you add the live bacteria. If tests of the water prove that a cycle is under way move the fish to a safe holding tank until the display setup is stable again.
    Are you using RO/DI water for regular top ups? Are you removing algae from the tank with a mechanically filter? Are you running any carbon?
    Rob

I always use RO/DI water for top offs..
    No carbon.. no algea in the tank anymore... i removed with the glass magnet in the past
    100 Gallon
    Maroon Clownfish
    100 pounds LR

If you can get some seed from an established aquarium, sand or filter medium...you'll need alot (bcause of the size of the tank) it can stabilize the tank faster. Salty has a point. I'd put back the sand in the tank if it hasn't been too many hours out of it. If the nitrifying bacteria in the sand is dead, that can cause a mini amonia spike too from the die off. Maybe those guys at the lfs can help you out by giving you some media from their tanks

I still have the sand. Should i rinse it out and put it back in? This will cause a lot of stress to the fish as I have to remove them as I put the sand back.
    100 Gallon
    Maroon Clownfish
    100 pounds LR

If you have a place for them, I'd move them. If not, I'd add the sand slowly over a day or so, bit by bit. Letting it settle and give the fish a couple hours breaks in between putting it all back.

Don't rinse the sand. The bacteria needs to be replaced in the tank, just add it back as is.

i hope i dont lose the trigger.. he looks like he might not make it through the night.
    100 Gallon
    Maroon Clownfish
    100 pounds LR

Awwwwwww so sorry. If it happens I hope its quick.

Guys... just tested with my test kit ..Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit... Aquarium Pharamceuticls.

this is what it appears to be to my eye and the chart

Nitrite 0
    Amonia ... between .50 and 1
    100 Gallon
    Maroon Clownfish
    100 pounds LR

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast