Thread: Filter Question

Filter Question

Hi everyone, this is my first post and i'm new to this site so take it easy on me lol. My question is I have decided to convert my 108 gallon tank to fish only marine tank. I have 2 existing aquaclear 500 and was wondering if they would be anygood to use? I will be buying a protein skimmer as well the coralife super skimmer to be exact. Any opinions would be appreciated.
    thanks,
    Pat

First off welcome to the forum

[welcome2]

If your asking about the hang on the back power filters I see no reason to not keep them. You can use them to run carbon and mechanically filter the water while adding some all important circulation.
    Rob

Hey welcome!!!
    When you say fish only do you really mean no rock and no gravel/sand bed? or do you mean just no corals?

I started with a hang on back filter. Later I bought a cannister filter and used the hang on when I needed carbon. If you have two that will give you some water movement. Can you tell us what you would like to have in your tank (ideally)-maybe we can suggest some steps to get you there.
    Is your tank cycled?
    With your experience with freshwater you know that things take time.
    Any pictures of your tank?
    Good luck and ask ANY (I do mean A-N-Y) questions you have-we all have been where you are now and we all enjoy helping when we can!!
    I have a lot of Patients

Hi again, what I mean is no corals.. Just fish and some live sand. I have yet to start my tank i'm gathering info for the conversion to saltwater. I would really like to include above all else a clown trigger. I plan on getting it started this week. I know the cycling process takes along time, so i will take one day at a time.. What are the first things I should buy??
    Pat

Moorish idol.

Not, a refractometer might be a better choice.

Live rock is often added to supplement filtering and to help supply food for fish. This becomes a Fish Only With Live Rock (FOWLR) tank. If you are planning to run Fish Only (FO) and no live rock, you will need to make sure you have filtering to replace the live rock. This will include your planned skimmer and you should also include mechanical (e.g. filter floss) and carbon filtration. You might also consider adding a UV filter.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Cres is a UV filter the same as a UV sterilazer and what does it do exactly?
    180g AGA inwall W/ 2 overflows W/ 205g sump 20g fuge, 77g W/ 30g sump 12g fuge w/mag 9.5 pump.

Yeah, the same things.

It uses strong UV light to kill everything that passes through it. This will include algae in the water, any pods unlucky enough to pass through and bacteria, etc. It can also kill off phytoplankton, and other desireable lower life forms, so, you don't want it to run all the time, but, after you add new fish, and perhaps a few days a month to kill off unwanted guests.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Thanks for the info Cres.
    180g AGA inwall W/ 2 overflows W/ 205g sump 20g fuge, 77g W/ 30g sump 12g fuge w/mag 9.5 pump.