Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blenny eats poo

Blenny eats poo

I didn't believe it the first time, but today I saw my lawnmower blenny following my wrasse to grab the poo she was evacuating. I feed meaty foods, bloodworm, marine mix, shrimp. Is this common? He also scrounges algae off the rocks and will eat marine mix which contains algae.
    He seems healthy enough, but blecccccchhhhh!
    Canons shooting coconut creme
    40 guns in a steady stream. :coolmad:

lol... maybe he thought it was a blood worm :huh??:

I've seen "Page" my yellow tang picking up a piece of his poo and eating it off the ground
    Probably because it looks like a rolled up piece of Nori.... lol

omg I'm wondering if the wrasse is fully digesting, am I overfeeding, or is it parastical.

Or maybe the blenny just a scavenger and I need not worry?

But if yours do it too, makes me feel better lol.

I don't think you have to worry... maybe he's just hungry.. do you have plenty of algea source in your tank for him to eat?

Well there isn't alot, I'm waiting for the bloom, there was a touch of brown diatomous, now a bit of green normal algae. I supplement spirulina for him. I can't wait for the lights to get here to culture some green stuff. Never figured I'd want to see algae ???!!!

well no one wants algea :P
    but that's good that you are suplimenting for him. They do need alot to eat otherwise they will starve...

It's quite common for fish and actually just about anything else under the water to eat other animal's poop.

There's been a bunch of articles on it, but basically the digestive system of a fish isn't the most efficient thing in the world so there's plenty of nutrients left.

Mother nature doesn't waste anything

The other interesting thing about it is that crab do-do is incased in chitin. This becomes a bacteria factory, that then gets injested by filter feeders, who eat the bacteria & spit out remains, which then gets repopulated with bacteria.

I think it's estimated that this happens 15+ times to each piece in the wild.

So anywhoo... it's perfectly normal, but it's on my list of things I wish I didn't know about my fish...

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Omg breakfast talk! Thanks for the info. I notice when I feed bloodworm, the wrasse poo is still kind of reddish, so perhaps the diet is quite rich and what is leftover is still edible?
    I know some dog foods are too enriched and that's why dogs will eat their poo, cause its ummmm 'tasty'. Yechhhh!
    Its called 'something'-aphagia. poop-aphagia..?????

Dogs are another issue. It's usually a combination of behavioural & sometimes a sign of poor diet or other health concern, but aside from mommy cleaning up after new born puppies it's an issue that needs to be addressed. 'Side's I don't wanna get a smooch from a pooch with that habit lol.

Anyway what's left over in fish do-do has always been a source of food for other fish & your clean up crew. If nothing ate it, imagine what a tank would look like in a week with just one tang in it...

It's not so much that the diet is too rich as it is their digestive system is so ineffecient. These creatures evolved to eat all day long with a virtually inexhaustible food supply.

Since there's always something else to eat a short swim away, they didn't have to develop more efficient systems.

Grazing mamals are much the same. Grass & veggitation is (usually) in abundance so you can just eat more to get the nutrients rather than aborbing more nutrients.

Anyway getting a bit off topic, but this is a good reason to have lots of live rock & pods in the tank. We mostly feed once a day, some people feed a bit more often, but the fish evolved to hunt & peck all day long.

Live rock gives them something to graze on between feedings, beside other fishes doodie

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast