Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Metal Halide Lighting

Hi guys, I just bought a 400 watt metal halide pendant and was wondering if that is enough light for my 48 gallon tank? I know it's more than what I had in there before and that was just a 50/50 flourescent bulb. Now I have to have this over my tank but do I need to put it in a hood or can I just leave it hanging over my tank at about 5 inches?

I have a 400 watt over my 55 gallon and its great! you dont have to put it in a hood you can just hang it above but make sure you are at least 8"-10" from the water line or the tank will get to warm.

If you've got corals in there you might also want to consider leaving it higher than that for the beginning and slowly lowering it to the desired position to get them used to it over a period of time instead of just BAM here's 400 Watts in your face

Good luck

Well whta I was interested to know was would that be okay to just hang it. Or will the light just "leak" out the sides and blinds me so that I can't watch tv.

I've never accutally seen one of these in real life. But from what I've seen from online pictures from people who use them it's generaly o.k. It might be different in real life though.

That will depend on the pendant to a certain exent and your own preferences.

To a certain extent, and uncovered tank will throw some light upward into the room. If the pendant is good, throwing nearly all the light directly down, it might be quite acceptable. If the pendant isn't perfect and you hang it far above the tank, you will have a lot of light in the room to deal with.

You might then consider building a fence of sorts around your tank to reduce this light leakage.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Thanks guys! My other concern now is that when I bought this pendant, I never noticed the bulb that was in it. It's a 400 watt 5K bulb. Will that be alright or should I get another bulb like a 10K?

If you've only got the halide on top of the tank anything under 14K is too yellow (if you ask me). I'd go with a 14 or 20 K if it's the halide only. If you've got actinic supplement than a 10K should be enough. There was a question similar to this on another thread asking if canadian tire Halides would be o.k and they're rated at 4K I think. The answer was no. 5K will not provide the proper spectrum of colors for corals.

5K is very yellow. You would need atleast 10K. For a more blue look go for 20K.
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

I've heard of people using 6.5K MH lamps with VHO Actinics & being happy with the results.

Waaaaaaaaaaaay too yellow for my liking, I have 14K MH with VHO actinics, but I like blue

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast