Thread: Feeding Corals

Feeding Corals

Alright I did a search before posting and I am still a little confused as to how to feed my corals or if I have to at all??? I have a brain, candy cane, leathers, mushrroms and some other softies. The brain just stop opening recently and I was wondering if it's because it's not getting enough food? I went by Pet Smart and saw that there was Phytoplanton in a bottle that I can feed them with. Is this a wise move? What other suggestings do you guys have? Also I saw Reef Crews Rotifers for sale, is this a good choice?

The brain will probably be happier with thawed, frozen mysis.

If it's not opening, it's usually a sign of stress, but it could just be something bumped it.

How long has it not been opening up, what's your water paramaters like, and what kind of lights do you have?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I have 400 watt MH but I have to set it up tonight. I also just thought of something..lol. How do I feed Rotifers anyways? They come in a bag and that's about all I know.

Generally if you want to target feed you need to use a turkey baster type unit and slowly squirt near the coral you are feeding.

Brains, since they are on the sandbed most often, you can use the top of a 2 litre pop bottle (cut it off like a funnel) press it lightly into the sand around the brain, assuming it is smaller than a 2 litre pop bottle, and squirt some food into the bottle top. Remove the bottle after feeding so the water will again move about.

Not everyone target feeds and you can simply dump rotifers and phytoplankton in to the water. You might turn off the skimmer for 1/2 an hour or so while feeding this way. The skimmer should remove any excess food added.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Do I need to turn off my powerheads too? Or is the skimmer off good enough?

I'd turn off all the powerheads and pretty much anything that will move alot of water or take all the food that you just put in there out.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Doh! I should have asked what kind of brain.... my brain is out to lunch lol.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Yes, again if you intend to target feed, it is easier to present food to a given coral if the water isn't speeding by.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Brains open at night. Take a look at it in the very early morning or late at night. It may be easier to feed then.