Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Tank setup on wall needs help

Hi all,

My 75G will come in soon and I planing to put this tank into wall, any one here have done it can you give me advice how to do it or any pics for me to see.

Also how the in-line skimmer work? my guess is can be use for return pump?

Thanks

I don't really know if it could be used as a return pump but I do know that you could get a pump big enough for your skimmer and return pump. Put a tee in it so water moves through your skimmer and through your return line the same time.. If that makes any sence at all??? I hope so.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Generally not a good idea to use the skimmer as a return pump.

You would normally pump from the sump to the skimmer, then output back to the sump. This will help reduce or remove the bubbles that often come out of skimmers.

There are three main variations on skimmer placement.
    1) HOB (hang on back) or HOT (hang on tank)
    2) in sump
    3) external or in-line.

You can often use them in more than one configuration. A HOB can be in sump or external if the plumbing can be modified or used as is for the job.

Often the in-line ones are bigger and don't fit in sump or HOB.

Since you often need to fine tune Skimmers by adjusting flow and water level, it isn't a good idea to use them for as a return pump. Plus, the design of most simply won't let you.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Banned
    Thank you guys for the skimmer info I got it now. How about tank seting up into wall any info?

I've got a 125 in wall, backs on the garage.
    65 sump.

I'll try to get some pics up to you shortly.
    125G in wall
    2 x 250 hqi
    4 x 4' actinics
    tunze wavemaker & 6060
    2 x 1200 maxi's
    quiet one 3000

...just started of course

One day my daughter asked me for Nemo. Here we are thousands later and I'm just getting started.

camera needs batteries.
    The job isn't that bad, but I used to be a framer before IT.

What backs the spot?
    125G in wall
    2 x 250 hqi
    4 x 4' actinics
    tunze wavemaker & 6060
    2 x 1200 maxi's
    quiet one 3000

One day my daughter asked me for Nemo. Here we are thousands later and I'm just getting started.

You will need to decide if the tank is to be "behind" the wall, through the wall, or flush with the wall.

Do you want it to have a ledge? Do you want it 2-3" into the room?

It is pretty common to have it behind the wall with a ledge as deep as the wall itself (i.e. 3.5" for the 2x4 and another 1/2" to 5/8" for the drywall).

Some people have built it flush or proud of the wall. This means you have to cut out the wall from the floor to the top of the tank opening (and it is a good idea to provision for an 8-12" opening above the tank for access. You then have a stand built to support the tank which sits part in the wall, part through the wall and part behind the wall.

You can check out Melev's system (part in the garage) at:
    http://www.melevsreef.com/280g.html
    This is a 280 gallon setup which is flush to the wall on two sides and sits in the garage. He built a room around it in the garage.

Weatherson has another in wall setup:
    http://www.weatherson.com/specs.htm
    But, this is an interior wall with a dedicated room behind. His tank is setup nearly flush to the wall.

Liv and Pwall on this site, as well as others have in wall tank setups.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Mine is not flush with the wall, it is flush to the inside of the drywall. I have a 1x8 side, 1x10 top/bottom frame. The 1x10 allows for ~8 inches of access at the top.

I use a 1x2 which fits very nicely between the frame and the tank. I'll try to get a pic up so you can see how it looks, it's sweet.

Cheap too, I just used simply pine and stained walnut. The whoel thing didn't cost me 150.
    125G in wall
    2 x 250 hqi
    4 x 4' actinics
    tunze wavemaker & 6060
    2 x 1200 maxi's
    quiet one 3000

I'm working on an "in-wall" for my basement. I built a dividing wall that seperates the main living room, from a small tank room. When I did the framing for the dividing wall, I simply did the rough-in the same way you would do it for a window (ie: jack studs and a header). On the other side of the wall, in the tank room, I'll just build a stand for the tank, position the tank on the stand and through the wall so the tank is flush with the drywall in the living room, and then add some trim.

Add a nice 42 inch plasma or LCD TV, a nice comfy couch, and I'll be done......sometime in the spring of 2006 LOL.

Hi cuteonewbie.

sent you a PM.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast