Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: evaporation

evaporation

I finally got my 36 inch 2 x96 watt pc light and set it up.
    The rock reacted almost immediately, color and new growth evident after 3 days, I am pleased.
    I checked my salinity today and freaked out as it was climbing up to 1.028, so I topped off with r/o water and then did a waterchange.
    Obviously there was alot of evaporation that raised the salinity.

The tank is open, the lights about 5 inches above sea level so to speak. This is an irregular sized tank with no trim along the top so I can't find a glass top to fit.

What can I do to cover the tank, prevent some evaporation, and not diffuse the lighting too much?

Thanks.
    Canons shooting coconut creme
    40 guns in a steady stream. :coolmad:

You can make a cover out of acrylic. It is easier to work with than glass and if your lights don't get too hot you should be just fine with an acrylic top. The bad thing about covers though is that it prevents air exchange. You could be o.k though if you have a refugium and/or a skimmer because they will help get rid of co2 and put oxygen back in the tank. Also do you run any fans over your tank to keep the temp down? They will make evap go crazy.

I don’t know if this would be any good but, could Plexiglas help? You can cut out where the light shines and around the edges for anything that hangs or pops above the top. You could also put a lip on it to stop it from moving and a sliding trap door for feeding. Now I’m thinking… better stop while I still can. Plexiglas, the wood of the DIY aquarius.

Plexiglas... acrylic... same thing.

There are fans that blow through the unit, but not contacting the water becasue a plastic sheild prevents the bulbs from splash. Water temps are stable at 79F, but I never figured for evaporation.

Maybe just being more vigilant with topoffs could work too.
    A glass top would be nice tho, since the blenny hangs on top of the powerhead, just a few inches from a tempting leap to a dry fate. I'll look into having something cut perhaps. Thanks.

I would suggest an auto top off unit for the evaporation and a screen for the blenny. If you put any solid cover (glass/acrylic) you will find that you need to be diligient with cleaning the water/salt off to keep the lights.

Also acrylic and plexi are not the same thing as plexi will turn yellow over time.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

custom cut glass top maybe? if there's such a thing?

Why not make a wooden canopy and "Hang" the new lights inside it? Keep a hole or two in the wood for air exchange. That and an auto top off and you should be good to go!
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Originally posted by ShipWreck
    Also acrylic and plexi are not the same thing as plexi will turn yellow over time.
    Although they both are a plastic polymer that is molecularly very closely related you're right, they are not 'exactly' the same. Being a top I wouldn't have envisioned anything but a coloured (black) plexi as you're likely to have salt spots under the top, scratches, and dust. Also, it's usually the cheap/low grade plexiglas that discolours, not all will.

If you would like to discuss this matter in detail I'd be happy to take it to pm where my degree in chemical engineering and lab experience working within the plants in the good ol' chemical valley can converse with whatever knowledge and experience you may have. This is not an invite for a debate but merely an invite if you wanted to know more on the subject from someone who does know what they’re talking about.

I would not cover the tank. You would be better off to cover the canopy and use enough air movement through it top keep it cool inside. Doing this will direct most of the heat out of the canopy to the room instead of onto the waters surface.
    Auto top up as mentioned would however be a lot easier.
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast