Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up New coral bleach/Skimmer out!!

The day I bought the mushroom/leather coral (no correct ID from store or from searching web or books) was the day that the tank water was on the carpet from the skimmer that subsequently no longer exists.
    I had to fill the lost half of water immediately, I had swapped to Red Sea Salt for the first time, from Coralife, and It had only been mixing a day, but had to use it and the PH went down to 7.8 and the ammonia spiked (.25) nobody in the tank was happy:madder:
    The anemone was small green and stringy and the fish odd and the corals (2 on one rock) now have bleach spots on them, though one is more effected then the other.. and the small growths (same species) on the little extra branch that came with the corals seem untouched.
    I couldn't explain the sudden change to anything other than the salt, the LRS (note to self - do not listen too LRS) said ok to do major water change with a new salt. I think this was the problem.
    The skimmer had done nothing in the way of collection so it couldn't be the overflow in the tank.
    I checked the PH this morning and back to 7.8..
    I added some Kalk, I didn't have any SW ready and the PH went back to normal (8.2) I also added an ammonia ball when I did the major water reintroduction, to be sure, AHH, to be sure , to be sure....
    I assume the corals will be ok and survive, and the anemone is looking better,(I think he's a bit p***ed with me as we had a power head ordeal 2 weeks back)
    I think I need to increase my salinity to around .23 for the corals? Is this correct?
    Was it the new salt in a major water change?
    I decided to keep Shrooms and leathers as they can tolerate some nitrate and fluros (2 by 18,000K 50/50's and actinic) and let the skimmer thing go for a while.
    Any advice is sooooooooo welcome, as i'm lost a little here on why the damage...
    I've added a photo if anyone can assess the damage and Id the coral for me, the white dots are the bleaching not reflection from the bad photo, getting a better camera in week.
    Thanks

Where'd my photo go???
    Here it is.

woah, looks like you had quite a day.
    in general, when changing salts, i have heard from others that its best to do it gradually as the different salts may react with each other and you are basically shocking the tank with something they are not used to.
    (i didnt understand though what happened to the skimmer).
    try waiting it out and see if things get back to normal as everything adjusts. leathers and mushrooms are supposedly very good at healing themselves.
    Albert
    My Photos

Yeah, was a rather eventful day.
    I did a search on RC and they confirmed the same thing, I think it was due to the new salt. I read the packet after and it says to wait until the PH is at 8.2 before using, the Coralife salt doesn't have this stipulation. and the NSW in the tub had a reading of 7.8 after 2 days of mixing, I won't use Red Sea Salts again.
    The skimmer was a Gebo 180 with 1500p/h and it emitted so many bubbles into the tank that the inhabitants got distressed, I put a knee high stocking on the end of the output and some sponge in the stocking and this lessened the bubbles, but the water was still "cloudy" from them, neither did it ever collect anything, I tried to slow the water rate by changing to a smaller pump (after elevating the cup and other various means) and then for some reason the output decided to use the carpet...Dunno...
    The anemone is still a little green stringy on a few tentacles.
    I decided to wait and see what happens, but I don't know If using the Coralife will cause any problems, as it's another salt change?
    I was thinking of putting a stocking at the end of the siphon and re-using some of the same water and add a little of the Coralife at the next water change.
    Does this sound like a good idea?
    Is it possible to ID the coral?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Those pics look kinda like a normal Sarc but it is also very blurry.., hard to tell for sure. You also might want to bring the salinity up to 1. 025 whic is better when keeping corals.
    As with introducing anything new to a tank best to always do it slow.

thanks
    the LRS said it was best to put them in asap, without any aclimatizasion, as they wrap them in newspaper, no water in bag...How would I introduce them slowly?
    I was going to try to increase the saliinity, so thanks for reading my mind and pre-answering the question...Will the increase affect the fish in the tank? Some stores keep them in hypo in the store to try keep them healthy, so this would mean a drip acclimatization??
    You said sarc. I know it's a common species, but could please give me the full name ext.? Thanks for your help.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

I found a better picture on the net, though the owner of the reef site doesn't know the name either!!
    Not a truly healthy specimen (he's nursing it back to health and it's bigger than mine) but a better pic none the less..

i dont know if i would change to yet ANOTHER salt. i would think that one change did enough damage and i wouldnt do another. the only change i would do, if any, is back to your original salt. right now the problem is the compatibility of two salts, so i would stick to either one or the other,3 salts only brings in a third potential problem. i have never used Red Sea, but wanted to know how it is. i dont think that the problem is necessarily because it is a "bad" salt but just the quick changes. try using it longer term perhaps (after things settle down) and see if you like it. you can also ask around other people for their opinions - i know i would be interested.
    to date most members of this thread seem to use IO, but many prefer and are switching to Tropic Marin. Recently there seems to be interest in the SeaChem salt, but nothing proven yet, just testing it out. (i know i cant speak for everyone, but based on the posts, this is the impression i get).
    HTH (Hope That Helps).
    Albert
    My Photos

I was going to revert back to the old salt, mixing half and half, to reduce stress, though that doesn't seem such a good idea anymore.
    All of the RS here recommend Red Sea, and as one explained rather well, Red Sea is a major distributor/sponsor of products in the stores and therefore the stores will promote the product and push it above others. This comment came from a store that does just that. I have inquired re: IO and they all turn me away from it, it's not that easy to get here, I'm told that it's the cheap and nasty of salts, and it's half the price of other salts here, I just don't seem to find it in any consistency in the stores. The Coralife salt seemed to do fine for the 2 years that I've been using it, no problems.
    I'm sure the damage was due to an ill informed major salt change.
    There was an interesting article and forum on IO that brought up some negatives in using it, I was trying to find it for you but haven't had much luck so far, I'll keep trying and put it up when I do.

This link shows the different salt chem compositions in diff brands.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast