Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clean sand

clean sand

Hello,

Ive got a 25 gallon aquarium with about 1-2" aragonite sand substrate, and Im looking for something I can add to my tank to help keep the sand clean and white. Water flow over the sand works well, but after afew days, I find that Ive got bare spots on the tank bottom where its blown the sand away.

Can somebody recommend some type of critter to help keep my tank bottom clean. My only other tank inhabitants are a tomato clown, mandarin goby, snails, crabs, and red mushrooms.

Thanks for the help.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Setup:
    27 Gallon Saltwater tank, 110W PC Light, Seaclone 100, 5 gallon HOB Fuge,Approx. 30lbs Live rock, Aragamax sand substrate.
    Livestock:
    Tomato clown, Mandarin dragonnet, Bicolor Angel, Assorted hermits and snails, Cleaner Shrimp.
    Corals:
    Assorted mushrooms, Zoanthids, Finger Leather.

A sea cucumber does a good job.
    I have one in both my tanks and the sand is fairly clean.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

I have 2 strawbery Conchs' in my 90 Gallon, they do an ok job of stirring up the sandbed surface and keeping it clean.

I think the conch is the best way to keep the sand clean as he moves around all the time. The cucumber (mine), lives under a rock for a month before changing palce and makes piles of sand (mostly sand that is in the front of the tank) behind the rock. They are less effective but nice to have.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Being that it's a smaller tank some nassarius snails and some cerith snails will also work to stir up the sand as they like to burrow. I know of sand sifting gobies but they need very fine sand. I don't know how good of a job they would do though. They're pretty cool I remember seeing some at Ivan's.

A pistol shrimp and watchman goby will stir up the sand quite a bit. Make sure your LR is secure...the digging from the pistol shrimp can/may cause the rock to shift.

I have a pair in my 150g at home, and a pair in my 20g at work.
    Regards,
    Patrick.

Hey pwall,( sorry to hijack cdnBeav), if I suspect I have a pistol shrimp in my tank but Ive never seen it, would adding a watchman goby make it come out?
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

Most likely...they'll pair up (most often) and generally very quickly.
    Of course, if you add a watchman goby and you don't have a pistol shrimp, you'll rarely see the goby.
    Regards,
    Patrick.

I have a Tiger Pistol Shrimp and later added a Yellow Watchman Goby. Never saw the Goby for 2 months and assumed it was DOA. When I tore down the tank to transfer to the new one he just popped up, and bigger I might add. After three months in the new tank he is starting to wonder around the tank a little bit but always close to the doors the Pistol has all over the place.

As for the point of the thread. I recently purchased some Olive snails that burrow in the sand and eat the nasty stuff inside. I also have a pink hotdog cucumber that is more decorative than functional. I believe the basic black cucumbers are the only true workers.

One thing that I do to keep the top of the sand nice and white is to vachume it with a siphon vachume when I am removing the water for changes. You will loose some sand, however, I just swirl it around to clean it and pour it back in. Works for me, but, it is a little messy.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Be careful how much sand you vacumm. You're actually removing beneficial bacteria from the sandbed.

With the sea cucumber, pistol shrimp and a good cleanup crew, you should never need to vacumm the sandbed.
    Regards,
    Patrick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast