Thread: SPS question

SPS question

Hey all,

Well my nano is doing great. All corals are fine. I've got a toadstool, candycane, pom pom xenia and red mushroom in there now. Looking for a few more softies at the moment if anyone has anything interesting but that's besides the point I want to try an SPS. I have 1X70 DE MH buld (14K) and 2 X 28W PC (Actinic) over my 10G. My tank is a standard 10G so it's 18" high I think. Is that lighting enough to keep SPS? If so what would be considered an easier sps? Any nano reefers have any luck keeping SPS with a similar setup?

Thanks

Steph

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Steph,
    That lighting should be enough, provided that you place the SPS at or near the top.

That said, your main concerns will be tank stability. With a tank that small, temperature, pH, Alk, Ca variations can sway very fast.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

sps in your nano

You have no problem at all growing sps in that tank.

Check out nano-reef.com, there are tons of similar setups.

I have the nano cube 12dx with the 'Larnie' upgrade, ~100w of PC. I have a couple sps that are doing amazing in there.
    125G in wall
    2 x 250 hqi
    4 x 4' actinics
    tunze wavemaker & 6060
    2 x 1200 maxi's
    quiet one 3000

...just started of course

One day my daughter asked me for Nemo. Here we are thousands later and I'm just getting started.

I have an auto top off so salinity I'm not worried about. I have a fuge which I run reverse photo period so keep the ph in check at night. I do 25-30% water changes every two weeks to keep alk/calcium in check. Params are surprisingly stable in the tank. Thanks for the input. What would you recommend I start with? I'd like something branchy like the birdsnest you're bringing to maso 12 if I recall correctly I think birdnest is harder to keep though ... isn't it?

putz28 ... good to know. Maybe I'll pick one up this weekend.

I have an orange digi that is growing like a weed in my nano. Damn thing is out of control : )

My 12 is very stable, I haven't had any trouble with it in the least. That being said being a small tank if things go bad it can happen fast but it's the same for bigger tanks. It's no ocean we're keeping.

I honestly feel my 12 takes care of itself, it is very little maintenance. top off, bio cal, wee coraline scrape, and monthly water changes.

2 clowns
    ever expanding RBT for a host
    frogspwan
    torch
    ric
    xenia
    several zoa's
    orange digi

At some point I will alocate this tank stickly a clown anemone tank but for now it's a nice little spot for everyone.
    125G in wall
    2 x 250 hqi
    4 x 4' actinics
    tunze wavemaker & 6060
    2 x 1200 maxi's
    quiet one 3000

One day my daughter asked me for Nemo. Here we are thousands later and I'm just getting started.

My opinion is that a 70W MH is life support for sps. They'll survive, they might even grow, but they don't thrive.

If you put it up high enough you should be okay, but I could not beleive the diffence in the coral when I moved them from my 70W set up to my 250W set up.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Thanks for the input Krugar. I'll definatly take it one step at a time. Not sure if I'll end up getting one or not.

I think depth is an issue with the 70's so they will need to be near the top.

I have had a birds nest 2 inches under the water in my nano and a foot under in my 125, power by 250 HQI's and you know what????? No difference.
    Now when I added the tunze wavebox the thing exploded so it obviously loves the added flow.

A lot of good light is a lot of good light is a lot of good light.
    Your 70MH will do just fine as long as the sps are in the top half of the tank.
    125G in wall
    2 x 250 hqi
    4 x 4' actinics
    tunze wavemaker & 6060
    2 x 1200 maxi's
    quiet one 3000