Thread: New Crocea

New Crocea

Okay new to me.

I've read just about everything I can on these guys, but I'm curious what everyone here feeds their clams & how often?

Do you taget feed them or do they get whatever they can catch?

I picked up a shopping list of supplies last night including dried phyto, but I'm curious if anyone feeds them anything else?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Krugar,
    How large is your crocea? If it's under 3", I'd suggest feeding it LIVE phyto (either DT's or Reefcrew). I usually cut off the top of a 2L coke bottle to use as a feeding dome, and squirt phtyo via a syringe through the top opening.

I glued glass decorative beads to my feeding dome to weigh it down. Otherwise it floats away.

In the absence of a feeding dome, you can "bowl feed" your clam by placing it in a bowl of tank water, and feeding the phyto in the bowl. Leave the clam there for 20-30mins until the water is clear again, and then place it back into the tank. I personally think this is more work, and probably more stressful on the clam as it is being constantly moved.

If your clam is larger than 3", You can feed phyto every now and then, however it will get most of what it needs through photosynthesis, in which case, you don't necessarily have to feed it really...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Sorry I should have mentioned his size. It's at least 5". I picked it up from Ivan & they're all in the 4-6" range. Actually I wouldn't be shocked if it was slight bigger than 6". I didn't take a tape measure to it.

I was just thinking of turning off the skimmer and adding soaked phyto to the water every 3 or 4 days. I realise they're mostly photosynthetic, but I figgure they'd still like to eat from time to time.

Cheers!

Any pix for show and tell?
    I have a lot of Patients

Soon. My lights only turn on at 7am & I have to be out of the house by 7:15.

15 minutes of actinics doesn't get much to open very widely.

If I grind through the todo list before the MHs turn off I'll snap some pics.

Cheers!

I've never fed my clams, crocea's, maximas, derasa's, last maxima I picked up was 2 ", I've just provided adequate light, I guess they pickup up whatever is in the water column along with consuming nitrate., knock on wood, I've never lost one due to not feeding directly.
    Wayner

as TANG said,
    your is in the safe zone so just feed your tank once in awhile with live phyto. its good for the whole tank anyways. I also use MARINE SNOW but thats mostly for corals.