Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sailfin tang food

hi

Currently im feeding my sailfin frozen brineshrimp..I tried some nori seaweed but it never went near it.What else can I feed it?Do they eat lettuce or other leafy vegetables? Thanks

Mine is a pig. Loves nori for sushi but certain types of dried seaweed he won't like (like the thick one used for chinese soups). He also eats "meaty foods" but I'm not certain he can properly digest it and use the nutrients. Try lettuce and broccolli (rinse it first). You can also prepare a cocktail of nori and brine shrimp.
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

I would stick with plants that grow in salt water.

Lettuce & broccoli are going to be hard for the fish to digest at best, and it's not likely they'll be able to get anything out of it beyond roughage.

How long have you been trying the nori? You might also try these:

http://aquariacanada.com/osCommerce/...roducts_id=880

http://aquariacanada.com/osCommerce/...roducts_id=879

http://aquariacanada.com/osCommerce/...roducts_id=878

Something else to consider, broccoli flowers (the part on the top we all eat) are actually toxic to lizards. I don't know what the long term effects of feeding them to fish are.

Romane lettuce used to be commonly fed to iguanas. They love the taste of it, but can't digest it. Romain junkie iguanas starve to death with a full belly.

I can't say any of this applies to fish, but I can say that there isn't a fish that naturally eats either.

Frozen brine shirmp nutritionally is carmel pop-corn. You might try moving to frozen mysis. Most fish like it just as much & it's better for them.

Freeze dried or frozen cyclopse-eese will usually be eaten by everything too.

But for the algea, as long as he's eating something, I recommend patience

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

As far I know Tangs are vegetarians in the wild. In that respect, lettuce and broccoli MAY be closer to the fish needs than frozen mysis and cyclopse-eese (or it may not). The super veggies Krugar recommends is probably the better alternative. To tell you the truth, for the past few months, my fish are mostly fed on New Life Spectrum pellets. I find that the fish look really healthy. I also do feed them some nori, blood worms, Formula and mysis.

Cheers.

Michel
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

I do feed my tangs with new life spectrum pellets and I fing out that my fish are more colourfull. How much are you giving at a time DeafBoy?
    180g AGA inwall W/ 2 overflows W/ 205g sump 20g fuge, 77g W/ 30g sump 12g fuge w/mag 9.5 pump.

The problem with broccoli & lettuce is that they're remarkably differnt plants from seaweed. Right down to their chemistry.

The basic building blocks are largely the same, but their "order" and ratios are way different.

Since mother nature doesn't really splurge, you're unlikely to find an animal that can digest things outside of it's environment.

So a tang will likely eat broccoli and lettus, but how much nutrition will it get from it?

In the wild tangs are mostly herbavors, but their oppurtunistic. If a particuallirly dumb sea bug happens along, it's lunch.

They also constantly eat. If it fits in the mouth & looks like it might be food, a tangs going to taste it.

They also eat other fishes' poop.

So their digestive system is set up for some animal matter and it can digest & process it.

The problem in an aquarium is that a) frozen mysis isn't as challenging to catch as live mysis. Neither is flake food.
    b) We feed extremely rich foods.

So it's easy for a tang to O.D. on "bugs" and have all kinds of health problems. It would be along the same lines as if we always ate at McDonalds. (Anyone see Supersize Me?)

But if all your kid's willing to eat is McDonalds food, that'll at least keep him from starving until you get him eating healthier stuff

Cheers!

I don't know from which foods tangs will actually get nutrients. The assertions you make are based on logical reasoning on your part or on scientific studies?
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

All of the above

Broccoli for fish too the best of my knowledge hasn't been studiied. However broccoli itself has been, and I can tell you from my knowledge due to research in other areas that the flowers & stalks are two differnent compounds.

The ability to digest one doesn't grant the ability to digest the other. People can, but many animals find the flowers toxic and or that only the stems have any nutritional value. You could be slowly poisoning your fish & not know it. (Or just giving him gas for all I know)

Then again broccoli could be great for tangs. I'm not testing it out with my tangs...

Lettuce on the other hand used to be very much "in vogue" for marine fish. I'm sure most people can remember seeing a big romain leaf in tanks everywhere.

The problem is, it's has the nutritional value of styrofoam for most fish and that has been studied. If I can find some artilces on it I will post them for you.

They both frequently contains pesticides. Washing them off may not remove enough to not have long term effects on your fish.

The problem with all of this, is tangs are pigs. They eat.

I could feed lettuce to my tangs and he could eat all of it daily, but he'll also graze off the rocks, eat the flakes & mysis etc. I put in. So the fact that there's little to no value in lettuce may not hurt the tang, it just won't help much.

Cheers!

My hippo is almost a carnivore!
    I'm with fredrick
    I use pellets as a supplement
    i usually use the Omega in a red Cup but there are osme veggie Omega pellets and flakes too
    i think there is a picture if a tang on the front too!
    (gotta be a good sign)
    they are wonderful fish!
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Thanks for the help and suggestion. yeah ill try some other seaweeds and the pellets. But I heard that you shouldnt leave the seaweed in the tank for too long if it isnt eaten? How long should I leave it there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast