Bristle worm or not?

I just bought some live rock and before putting it into the tank I saw two red worms hanging out of the rock! So I grabbed ahold of the one, but wasn't able to pull it out. Are there other creatures that are two shades of red and long...I didn't see any other details? Sorry no photo!

I'm going to pluck that rock out tonight and try to get ahold of the critter!

Kim

Ohhhhh and also, if I am only having a fish only tank should I worry about these guys? Will a cleaner shrimp (which I plan to get after the cycling is done) take care of the worm?

I have tons of Bristleworms.. they are red/purply colors. Good for the tank and good bottom/filter feeders IMO. They never bothered anything in my tank.

That's a relief, my kids have been yelling, "I found another one!!!" almost thought I had to do a search and destroy procedure. Thanx! :dance:

yeah, even if they are bristle worms, dont worry about them. their are only a couple species that will bother coral and they are rare in the hobbie. Bristle worms are great for clean up. They will do a great job cleaning up excess food and detrius.
    Rob
    TalkingReef Podcast
    http://www.talkingreef.com

the only bother I can think of, is picking up a piece of rock and having to scrubb the little bristles off your finger tips... dosent hurt, but its annoying.

Originally posted by catatonik
    the only bother I can think of, is picking up a piece of rock and having to scrubb the little bristles off your finger tips... dosent hurt, but its annoying.
    yeah feels the same as if you touched fiberglass insulation or something. if it doeas happen you should run the affected area under warm/hot water to help remove the bristles. af left in your skin, they get quite irritating..
    Rob
    TalkingReef Podcast
    http://www.talkingreef.com