32 Gallon Start-Up Query

Hello All!

I've recently assembled a 32 gallon marine tank (my first). The fluorescent canopy houses two bulbs: a Sun Glo & an Aqua Glo. What creatures might thrive in such an environment? The tank itself is new, as is the substrate; however 3/4 of the water, filter media & live rock were taken from an established tank.

At present I have a hippotang (temporary resident), a blue-legged hermit crab, a false perc, and three damsels, but am looking forward to growing/altering my little family with time. Any & all suggestions will be much appreciated!
    kate

As far as fish count goes, I think you are done. As you have stated, the Hippo Tank is temporary so hopefully that will ward off the pending flames from putting it in a 32 gal tank.

The clown, depending on what kind it is, should be a happy long term resident. The damsels, will probably kill each other, depending on what kind they are. As the damsels dissappear and the Hippo moves on to a larger tank think about some of the following.

1 Purple Firefish
    1 Royal Gramma
    1 Clown Fish ( you already have this)
    1 Bi Color Blennie
    1 Blood Shrimp (for color)
    1 Harlequin Serpent Star

As for corals with a dual canopy, you can have some great splashes of color in the tank such as Gorgonias and tree sponges. You should not have any troubles with most mushrooms, however, you may want to stay away from ricordia and yuma varieties. Pink Pom Pom Xenia or Red Sea pulsing xenia(same thing) will do well, as well as, most soft corals such as Colt corals and Kenya tree.

Good luck and have fun. Don't be affraid to get opinions before you buy if your not sure.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Great! Thank you Swiseman!

The hippo is miniscule (just a babe)... MUCH smaller than my velvet damsel. I doubt I'll have him for more than a few weeks (it's to be an emotional farewell, I'm sure). :bawling:

Will the damsels really kill each other?? The three that I have at present (a velvet, a three stripe & a yellow-tailed blue) have co-existed peacefully in a friend's tank for at least three years.

Any suggestions in terms of bulbs? or do the Aqua Glo & Sun Glo suffice?

Thanks again!
    kate

Well I have had no problems with my 1 yellow tail damsel as well, but, everone keeps saying they turn into devils. It mut be the Blue Devils and the Domino damsels giving them all bad names. As for the bulbs, I believe the ones you have are made by Hagen. I use a Power-Glo (18,000K) and a Marine Glow (Actenic) on my 33 gal holding tank. I like the color combination. A 10,000K bulb with an Actenic bulb will also do nice. If you can access them, there are 50/50 bulbs that have both actenic and tricromatic wave lenghts. You could use 1 50/50 and 1 Powerglow and have full spectrum coverage and your tank would be quite bright.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.