Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live Rock

Question Live Rock

If I cycle my tank with live rock, will that kill all the hitch hikers that are in the rock? For example bristle worms or mantis shrimps?

Jenn

welcome to aquaforums (IJO will give you an official welcome).
    it will not kill the hitchhikers, cycling your tank is just a way of letting all the beneficial bacteria build up. if you find that you do have "problem hitchickers" then you can set traps that will catch them.
    Albert
    My Photos

Nope, some of it will dye but not all of it, if you are lucky yes but if every thing dye off what is the point of the live rock, .. So if you have bristworm better treat it now befor you add some fishes. As for the mantis shrimps if you have some try to see if someone would be interested to keep some like MomRules in here has some.
    25g Reef

Is there away of getting rid of the pests before putting the LR in the aquarium? Does putting in high salinity water work to get them out of the rock?

ijo
    hehe ALRHA

Welcome to AC jdespins make yourself at home.

In the past poeple used to consider bristleworms as pest but were seeing more and more reef enthusisast welcome these worms with open arms. (There should be a thread on here about these.. I'll see if I can find it)

As for the mastis... if you hear clicking noises you could try finding the rock he's in and pour some soda water over it... it should force the mantis out of the rock within seconds. Dip the rock in saltwater and add it back to your tank.

Hope this helps.

IJO

ATC
    Some people suggest qt'ing your rock and placing it on pvc pipe or something to get it off the bottom of the tank. Undesirable hitchhikes would then ideally come out of the rock and not be able to get back into it.

We had to catch a hitchhiker crab once the rockwork was set up and in the tank for a couple of months and it was miserable.
    Aven

I would jsut leave the rock as it is...I have tons of bristle worms and have for years without a problem. I actually think they are beneficial. I only worry about mantis and pistol shrimp. If you have one of those, then it becomes a sport, trying to catch it and keep it in a seperate tank. It's all good to me.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

whats wrong with a pistol shrimp? i love mine - i actually bought him special to go with my goby.
    Albert
    My Photos

ATC
    I have a pistol shrimp too. Talk about stress until finally saw it and made sure it wasn't a mantis There is probably less of a chance of mantis + crabs in cured lr rather than uncured lr and in that case you don't really want to be putting uncured lr in your tank.
    Aven

I would also like to welcome you Jenn... and will also say that bristleworms are good for the tank. They are excellant scavengers and will never harm or touch anything alive and healthy. I once had one crawl right over a sleeping Mandarin during the night without the Mandarin even waking!!
    Mantis is another story. Not that they are bad to keep, it's just that they will need their own special tank and are not good in a reef. I would love to have one!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast