Coral won't stay in place

I have some zoos in my tank right now and the rock came on some kind of beige putty. I was wondering what that putty is and where I can get some. I need to have my new mushroom frag attatched to my rock. I thought it would stay put in a small whole in the rock but I was wrong. Found it on the sandbed this morning. The mushroom is on a very small piece of rock. Would the putty be the best way to get it stuck to my main rock? Should I use something else? I can't remove the rock that I want to place the mushroom on from the tank as it supports other rocks.

Thanks,

Steph

if the mushroom is big enough you could use a small rubberband
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

I think a needle and thread would work the best. Just thread the base of the mushroom and tie it around the rock. It should attach itself pretty fast in a low light area.
    George

ijo
    If the mushroom is ona small piece of rock... just use zapgel to hold it... the mushroom will eventually grab onto your other rock as it grows or slipts.

IJO

I wouldn't glue it, I would use th rubber band.
    Mushrooms are known to "walk away" from the light.
    They move in the shade. If you glue them, and the light is to strong, you could kill'em.

Mine first mushrooom walked away, went through the rockwork, came back out and attached to tiny piece of rock in the middle of the tank.

My mushroom ticked me off so much because it liked to swim. I'd put it some where to get attached and it'd move to find the current and swim away. After 'relocating' it every other day for about three weeks I used some PVC zip ties and some mesh netting. I put the mesh over the mushroom and zipped the ends closed. It didn't have much of a choice after that. Give it a few days and the mushroom is attached. It's been in the same spot for about three years now.

Its tough to tell
    i have some mushrooms that LOVE the light and other that don't and some that i'm not too sure about yet. i just move them around until i see them consistantly open up
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

The easiest way to tell where a mushroom should be, (9 times out of 10) is look at its color. If it flouresces, then its probably better in the shade or near the bottom. (Characteristic of species that are found at depth). If its a solid, non-flourescent color, its probably safe under direct flourescent lighting. I wouldnt place any shrooms under DIRECT MH, tho. I'd attach the piece of rock that the mushroom is on to the base rock with glue, and if it wanders, it wasnt a good spot anyways.

It is a fluorescent mushroom. I've got it about half way in terms of tank height. It has not moved for a few days so hopefully it has attatched itself there. Thanks for all the good info everyone