Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shrooms Disolved !!!

I got some shrooms at the MASO.
    Today I got back from work, and I was basting some algae of my finger leather and I noticed shrooms took of from the piece of dead candicane I got'em on, and I found the behind a small piece of rock in the shade. As I was basting off the algae, is noticed the shrooms are sliming out from the water movement. I picked up the shroom and it disolved in my hand into a long strech of brownish slime. I picked up the dead candycane and the other shroom slimed out on me.
    What's going on in my tank?? Where did I go wrong??
    Params as of last night...
    pH - 8.2
    NH3/4 - 0
    NO2 - 0
    NO3 - 15
    Temp - 78.5°
    That's all I can test for now.
    Help.

Also, my polips I got from Carolpol are not opening. (They opened a bit during aclimation in a rubbermaid container floating in the tank but when I put'em in the tank, they never opened.)
    Also, my Xenias closed and shrunk a month ago, never recovered.
    I lost two candycanes, in my opinion due to faulty temp probe.
    Birdsnest frag is bleaching.
    Only my green leather finger and green star polips are doing OK.
    Help !!!
    What to do?

I noticed pieces of glass in the sand since I bought the tank and the sand and the rock. Could it be that somebody's bulb broke into the tank??
    My xenias were good in the begining (not pulsing due to low lighting). When I switched to MH 250W-14,000K, Xenia started pulsing and then shrunk over time.
    I brushed off 2 Xenias in the garbage and left only 1 in the tank.

HELP!!!

I dont know very much, as I am still pretty new to this hobby, but it probably couldnt hurt to run some carbon for a bit to remove any chemicals from the water if any are present. Somebody with experience may be able to help alittle more...
    Cheers,
    Mark

Setup:
    27 Gallon Saltwater tank, 110W PC Light, Seaclone 100, 5 gallon HOB Fuge,Approx. 30lbs Live rock, Aragamax sand substrate.
    Livestock:
    Tomato clown, Mandarin dragonnet, Bicolor Angel, Assorted hermits and snails, Cleaner Shrimp.
    Corals:
    Assorted mushrooms, Zoanthids, Finger Leather.

Salinity - 1.025

Just thinking out loud but... chemical warfare? It still is only 30g and the leather seems to be winning... then adding sps and button pollyps to the mix... leather kicked in big time to protect it self and the new stock is having problems surviving?
    You params seem fine... your light seems fine... thats the only thing I can think of right now sorry.
    running carbon is a good suggestion, it wont make it worst . I would try it.
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

I'm running carbon right now.
    I didn't run carbon in a while.
    I'm running it on a Pro3 powerhead intahe throught a modified rubbermaid container.
    I got a Fluval 403 to run carbon only and use it as a small closed loop, but since I got 250W MH I have a hair algae problem, so I'm running fluval with floss only.
    Tomorow I'll put the carbon in it too.
    I hope the warfare was it.
    Thx Carol. What do you think if I cover those polips I got from you with a jar for a day or so??
    WOuld a luck of water movement kill'em?

Xenias are good sight indicators. Have you checked your dKH? Xenias will stop pulsing if your alk is messed and would give your Ca loving corals a hard time. I’d check your Ca and KH. The lack of water movement in the DT water may very well stress the coral to the point of death. Is there anyone around you willing to hold it for a few days?

If all else fails a 50% water change will help things balance or dilute things. BTW one of my tanks is a 33g with 1"ish between SPS tips. Although chemical warfare does happen it's usually last on my list of could be reasons as it's usually something else.

you should pack that 403 with Bioballs
    the greatest thing in the world!
    i have almost all the compartments fiull of them.
    they have suck a great surface area for bacteria.

i donno if it will help you out but i never have any problems running my 404 fully loaded
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

To each their own but be aware that Bio balls don’t complete the denitrification process leaving the extra work for your live rock and live sand. Do a search on them and you’ll find that they’re not the best things in the world, especially for a reef tank.

I don't like bioballs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast