Crushed Coral to Sand

I have been cycling my tank for a few weeks now, and originally decided to go with a crushed coral base. After reading a lot different websites I have decided to switch to a DSB.

I really would rather keep my existing water as the levels seem to be fairly good. However I don't know what the easiest way to go about this would be. I could remove all the crushed coral with a net, and then dump the sand into the water and let it settle, but for some reason I don't like that idea.

I suppose I would get a bunch of buckets and drain the water into them while I setup the DSB, but 55G of water would take a lot more buckets then I have. So would it be easiest for me to just start all over? It's only been about 3 week, so it wouldn't been too bad I guess.

Any suggestions would be great! Another thing I should find out as well is what type of sand I should use? I have read you can use regular sand box sand for the base, and then some aragonite on top. Where is the best place to find these items in the Kingston area?

I think that it would be a good idea to take out the coral by net or other method, and then drop the sand in or put the entire bag in and cut it and drag it along to bottom that way it will not stir up as much. It will settle over night and you will be able to scape it how you like. Just so that you know it will still stir up when you dump the water back in so I am not sure what you think will be the advantage not to do it with the water in already.

If you have no livestock in the tank and it has been cycling empty, there's nothing stopping you from changing substrates on a whim. You'll just have to start the cycle over again.

Play sand can work. Some say that it will leach silicates into your water but I personally don't think it would. That's just my opinion! However, 2 bad things about playsand is that it's a quite an unnatural colour (the home depot playsand is quite dark actually) and also it would not buffer your ph. If you layer aragonite ontop, it would look ok for a short while until you get sand sifting creatures. They'll end up mixing your precious aragonite with the playsand. You'll end up with a salt and pepper look!
    George

So to clarify, what you are saying is you suggest using a 100% aragonite substrate? That's cool, where are the best places to find aragonite? Is my LPS the only place, or can you get it at places like Home Depot or something?

Also should I take all the water out? or could I do as Nobez says and just clean the coral out, and pour the sand into the water?

Thanks again.

I suggest that you rinse any substrate before adding to the tank. I put holes in a bucket and placed it my RO water container(garbage can) then filled it up with water. I remove the bucket (filled with substrate) and redip a couple more times.
    It saves a lot of cloudiness and stress on any tank inhabitants/parameters.
    I have a lot of Patients

Changing your sand out will for sure upset you cycle but it's best done now then after the cycle is completed. So I would just remove the crushed coral sand with a net and then add your rinsed fine sand. The other option is to remove simply layer the fine sand over the crushed coral sand. Reduce the coral sand depth to not more then about an inch and then top up with the fine sand to the depth you want.
    Rob

Well I went and emptied all the water out and started from scratch.. I wasn't going to be happy unless I did that.. lol.. I was only 3 weeks into the cycle, so it's not a big loss. I have an existing tank running that will be fine until this one is just right.. Now I just need to find a place that sells aragonite in the Kingston area.

IMO you really should not have removed the existing coral sand until you had the new sand. What will you do if you can't find any for a few weeks or more?
    Rob

I will wait longer.. I mean its really not a big deal if I emptied it now or later.