Thread: what one

what one

hey i am new to this site and i am just wonding what type of tank shoul istart off with. Me and my uncle are goin to be building probally a 90gallon tank for my room and i was wonderin if i should go with fresh water to start me off or should i go with salt water. any feed back would help me out thanks

Talking

Salt, I've had both and Marine in simply more interesting.
    125G in wall
    2 x 250 hqi
    4 x 4' actinics
    tunze wavemaker & 6060
    2 x 1200 maxi's
    quiet one 3000

...just started of course

One day my daughter asked me for Nemo. Here we are thousands later and I'm just getting started.

I think almost everyone here would recommend that you go with salt as it is our hobby. The truth of the matter is that it cost alot of money to build and maintain a salt water tank. Investments in this hobby can range from $200- $20,000. Believe me there are members on this board that have invested more.

Look around the gallerys and see what you like. If you decide to go with a salt water tank than start asking some more specific questions. I think you will find that people are only too ready to help someone out who is just starting in the hobby.

Lastly, if you live in Ontario, start checking out the classified sections of this board and on www.AquariumPros.ca You will be able to get started for half or less than the cost of full retail.

Good Luck
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

i started with freshwater and did not take long before switching to saltwater hehe. Its more challenging but its worth to try IMO

You can still have a very nice tank with FW, but nothing beat the beauty of a stable saltwater tank!
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

Welcome to Aquaria.ca.

Go with salt water......of course, my opinion is biased.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

if you start with fresh water make sure everything you buy is saltwater safe for when you do the change over. I do however thing that once you go salt ... you never go back.... so start with salt because that's where you will want to be in the end. 90 gallons is a good starting size by the way.
    Rob

thanks alot guy i really apperatice it i think i will go with salt water casue i have been lookin at images on the net and they just look alot nice and my uncle also has salt water so he could help me to wheni need help thanks a lot again and if i have question i will ask here