question on new setup..

Im setting up a new Fish only and was wondering a few things..

1 - how do you guys add salt to new water? its a 125g tank.. and do you pre-mix 5gal pails then fill the tank?

2- sand.. im using bomix white playsand, Johnny told me how to add it to tank and to use garbage bag to hold it down.. also was wondering a few things my live rock comes in friday.. and the water will still be cloudy.. is it safe to add liverock to cloudy water? also is it safe to run power heads while its cloudy? i will turn off my external canister filter cause i hard sand eats away at motors.. i have no way of storing the amount of live rock im getting elsewhere..

anyhow, all help is appreciated..

Thank you.

I'd use something bigger to mix the salt water, like a clean trash bin. Make your water a couple of days ahead of time, and keep a powerhead in the bin to circulate it.

If your water is still cloudy from the new sand, it won't hurt your new live rock.

what about powerheads? should i turn off all flow for a week? or should i keep 2 maxi-jets on for circulation?

also is there a way to lower cloudiness time? like powerhead with polshing filter on it?

also would polyfilter in my canister help or will it get damaged?

Thanks!

I have a 45 gallon drum I used to make water. I added RO/DI directly to it (checking it often to avoid "angry spouse syndrome"). Then, with a heater, aerating power head (Maxi 1200 with air hose) and a second Maxi 1200, I added salt to the right mix. Transferred to the tank with 5 gallon pails and repeated. For my 75 I only needed twice, but, you might need three runs for a 125.

NOTE: I added the sump water later, 5 gallons at a time.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I don't know what a poly filter is, but, any particulate filter will help get rid of the floating dust. You will need to dispose of the filters as the dust is removed, therefore cheaper is better.

You should continue to move the water around in the new setup (you want it to stay aerated and mixed). But, you shouldn't use your most expensive power heads until the dustiness is reduced. It won't straight up kill the power head but it will cause wear.

You should have a heater in there too.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.