Yellow Clown Goby

Alright I think I've decided to go with a yellow clown goby for my 2nd and last fish in my nano. I've read up on them and found alot of posts on other boards saying that they are finiky eaters and usually end up starving in an aquarium. So ... I'm looking for any and all opinions anyone might have on this type of fish.

Thanks,

Steph

I have one and it seems like he can never get enough to eat. He stuffs himself silly during feeding but he still looks thin to me. They are also fairly slow eaters. I guess since they're so small, they take awhile to swallow their food. But in a nano tank, it maybe easier to spot feed him small bits. (definately will not eat PE mysyis very well. Way too big!) They may also unknowingly harass smaller corals by perching in them. In larger frags or colonies this may not be a problem, but with smaller frags it maybe annoying to have the polyps always closed because he's always in it. They swim from frag to frag too.

On the good side, they seem have great characters. Quite curious at times.
    George

Cool

yellow clowns are almost gaureenteed to eat SPS polyps if you have them. [probaly not in a nano] green clowns are better for sps tanks.

Thanks for the input I think I'll give one a shot. I don't have any SPS in the tank so I'm safe on that side.

Best of luck!!! = )

Can't wait to see the little fellow in his new abode. Do post pics!!!
    kate

Steph,
    The clown gobies naturally live and hide among certain SPS colonies. I don't know if it's absolutely necessary for them to have a colony to live in, but since it's their spot of choice, I would say they "mught" do better longterm if they have one to be in.
    They don't really "eat" the polyps, but instead clean an area away on the branches where they will want to lay eggs and hangout.
    As George mentioned, on larger colonies, it won't do much harm but on a small one it might overwhelm the colony.
    I find the green ones that Johnny mentioned nicer and a bit more rarer than the yellow ones, although the tellow ones are easier to see and spot amongst what they hide in.
    They are fast eaters or beter stated, quick at grabbing food, but in a community tank, they are usually too scared to comete with the bigger fish for the food.
    They often dissapear down drains or overflows because of their small sze and tendency to si on things instead of be free swimming all the time.

I had a yellow clown goby that lived with a voracious Anthia, Lawnmower Blennie, and Cleaner Wrasse (that died of old age, fat and healthy) and it ate plenty, and didn't bother the corals.
    They like to perch and aren't very good swimmers, but a wonderful communiity fish. They prefer corals like Birdnests and Whiskers corals to perch on, or similar stuctured species. It gives them a "safe place" to hide. Mine concerned me at times with where it decided to perch, the second favourite place to the Whisker was the mouth of a large Fungii. Alas never eaten...

I have read that they do best in pairs, but mine faired well alone.

I didn't have SPS then, so i can't comment on the nipping.

If you are concerned about eating, make sure it's eating at the store first, and when you feed, portion the food, and dump a little over where it is, to make it easier for him to get to the food.

Tiffany
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Well I picked one up over the weekend from Ivans. Ivan fed the tank with cyclop-eeze and the goby ate some. Ivan has had him for about 3 months so that's a good sign he's used to food that is not live. I'm pretty happy with him. Very interesting to watch. Hopefully he's happy in his new home. I've seen him perched on my spagetti leather coral ... pretty cool

I'll post some pics and impressions soon. Thanks for all of your input everyone.

Well, i had one in my 20g nano for 6 months before it died due to stavation. I fed it mysis shrimp and cyclopee but it didn't seem to eat much and stayed skinny the whole time.

:errr:

Well I hope mine has a better story ending than that