Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Fish and Water Quality

:banghead:

As some of you know I have a hard time keeping fish alive. Basically I've gone through a lot of fish. I have two Occelarius Clowns right now, they've been in the tank for about 3 years. They've seen alot of other fish come and go in that time, pink skunk, gramma, cole tang, regal tang, clown tang, fat head anthias, cleanershrimps, cleaner wrasse...and so on I haven't bought a new fish in over a year.

The last crew I had was a Pink Square Anthias, yellow tang, firefish, cleaner shrimp, and the two clowns. That was all the livestock. They all lived happily for about a month or so, then one by one they all died within a 2 month spane including the shrimp. I'm assuming it has something to do with my water quality. None of the fish had parisites for what I could see.

Can anyone give me some advice to what maybe happpening, before I go out and spend money I don't have...thanks in advanced for all your help and advise!!!!

If you don't have one allready, buy a marine test kit and test your water.
    Check your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phospahtes, pH, alkalinity, and so on until you discover the problem. Also make sure your salinity is in check.

Maybe it as to do with where you buy everything from?

Most of the Tangs that have come and gone were going to outgrow that tank fairly quickly. Are you adding them one at a time or all at once? Adding them all at once could cause an amonia spike. How did the fish die, were there any signd os sickness or were they just very thin? It may sound critical, but, if you are loosing that many fish, chances are you are overlooking something. Test your water and post it here. The major components are Salinity, PH, Nitrites, Nitrates, and Amonia. That should give the big picture. Also, what temperature is your tank? How old is your substrate and what kind is it? How much live rock do you have and how long have you had it? Try not to get too discouraged, I am confident that someone on this board will help identify the problem.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Cool

almost sound like an acclimation thing? how long do you acclimate?
    shrimp = 3 or more hours
    fish= 1 to 2 hours IMO

also your tank is to small for any tangs. FATHEADS are not easy to keep, SQUARE SPOTS get HUGE!!! [pink spots]
    test for ALK,PH,CAL. don't buy cheapo kits. get SALIFERT.
    I remember you mentioning sandbed probs and ''cleaning the sandbed!'' that was not good as thats your whole filtration system. you also could ude some more liverock in that tank.
    another powerhead as you have no sump so oxygen could be a huge issues [you need surface aggitation.

I've tested my salinity, it's fine. .025
    I've tested my Ph, it's fine.
    I just did a water change about 4 weeks ago and I only have two fish in there, so the nitrates should be fine.
    The only test I cant do is amonia, because I have no kit yet...will buy this weekend.

I only buy fish from Marinescape, they always feed them before they sell them to me so that I know they are heathly.

The fish don't show signs of stress, they aren't skinney before they die. I just wake up or come home from work to find them dead.

I buy fish in a long time frame, I buy one, then wait about a month or so.

I usually acclimate them for a half an hour or so...the fish don't die right away though so I thought that had nothing to do with it...could that still be the problem?

Sometimes I don't find the fish they just disappear, same as the cleaner shrimps I just don't see them die, but they are gone.

swiseman, to answer your question about the substrate, to be honest I don't know what that is so I'm going to assume I don't have one.

Substrate = what you have at the bottom of your tank. Sand/crushed coral usually.

oh, I have a sand bed

what about surface aggittaion? its a big thing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast