How to set up wave generators?

I was looking at the SCWDs.
    Where do you set up your two outflowing lines? One in the top and one in the bottom of the tank? Or side by side?

The scwds were designed for the outputs to be opposing each other so that when it switches outputs, it's like a wave going back and forth across your tank. (left and right) You'll have to do some plumbing to get the outputs facing each other. Most people use pvc pipes. Are you doing a closed loop system or a return pipe from a sump?
    George

I was thinking of doing a return pipe.
    How does a closed loop work? Pump the water to the SCWD while inside the tank?

Which of the two is better?
    I have a 30 gal tank. Is this worthwhile to do?

I personally think that a system with a sump has great advantages. One being the extra water volume that's 'behind the scene'. Most people use foodsafe rubbermaid bins. The medium sized ones are usually 30 gallons, so you've pretty much doubled your water volume. However, you'll need some space to work with under your tank to house a sump and not everyone can afford this extra room.

If a sump is out of the question, then here's a 'simple' closed loop.

http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html

It doesn't have to be identical to this one, but you get the idea.
    George

I was thinking of a sump/fuge combo if I can do it cheaply. I might have to build a stand though.

I keep getting mixed advice. Some people saw that a sump/skimmer is definately the best way to go. Others say that for my size of aquarium, I shouldn't need a skimmer as long as I'm doing weekly water changes.

There are no absolutes in this hobby. All the advice you've been given is correct. You could go either way so it's really a matter of personal choice. If you're a beginner and not sure what your limits are, then I would suggest a skimmer. It will help you in ways that you don't even know about, nor care about at this stage in your hobby. I for one would not like to do weekly water changes but that's because I'm lazy.

A sump/fuge can be homemade relatively cheap with a 20 gallon tank, some aquarium safe silicone, and some glass or acrylic sheets cut to size to make baffles. You would section off an area of the sump for slow flow for a fuge, and the rest would house your skimmer (if you get one) and your return pump.

If all of this sounds daunting already, you can start off without a sump. Nowhere is it written in stone that you must have one. Many successful tanks are sumpless. A small 5 gallon fuge would be nice though. So all in all, it's all dependant on your comfort zone with what kind of project you can handle, and ultimately your wallet!
    George