Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Xenia on the backwall?

I want to frag my Xenia and start to grow it on my backwall. I'd like to start it on near the top of the tank. How would I get the frag to hold on the back window?

Thanks,

Steph

Mine started to grow when it reached the back glass and then continued working its way up the glass.. maybe just place the peice of rock up against your glas and let it work itself off and onto your glass. Probably a quicker way but thats how I did it.

I was thinking about doing that ... I guess I'm just impatient and don't want to have to wait for it to spread to the top

Edit: Any pics of the tank showing the Xenia on your glass?

Just thought of something. If I let it grow up on my glass and it reaches the top of the glass will the Xenia be harmed when I do a water change?

For my water change I remove about 3-4 inches of water from the display tank. So that means that the Xenia would be exposed to air for about 30 seconds to 1 minute ... maybe even 1 minute and 30 seconds

So is it safe to have it grow on the glass?

When I do a water change, my xenia is exposed for a few minutes. It will shrink down to water level (or as much as it can. Also, when I bought my live rock (which happened to have xenia on it), it was exposed to air for upwards of 30 minutes. Apparently it did no harm, as my xenia is weedlike

You can try using suction cups. I just stuck some anthelia polyp in the little hole and stuck it on the back window with the suction cup (meant for thermometer or powerhead) this morning. Its recovered and waving away as I type.
    Canons shooting coconut creme
    40 guns in a steady stream. :coolmad:

If you have two clamps that will reach deep enough into the tank to reach where you want it, thread the xenia with a needle and polyester thread, and clamp the thread tight to the wall for a few days. Once its attached unclamp and pull the thread through. Trust me, it works

Or just use Zapgel.

Very good info everyone thanks!

Ohh yeah and how do I make sure it doesn't spread to my side glass or is that inevitable and I'll just have to manually remove it?

If I have to remove it do I just cut it with a razor blade/knife/scisors?

Thanks,

Steph

Sure. A fresh razor blade will cut it nicely. Then you can trade your clippings as frags.
    On that note, if you have a stalk that is getting think you can easily make 2 but splitting it down the center. It only takes a couple days to recover and it'll spread faster that way.

Sure. A fresh razor blade will cut it nicely. Then you can trade your clippings as frags.
    On that note, if you have a stalk that is getting thick you can easily make 2 by splitting it down the center. It only takes a couple days to recover and it'll spread faster that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast