Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coral Stings

Coral Stings

I was wondering if anyone else has had coral sting them? I was aquascaping the other week and I felt a sting. It's been hurting since last week and this week I can see some sting marks. There is about 5 round dots on my finger...is it natural to last this long?

as far as i know, coral stings are like anemone stings, which is like bee stings
    some people don't mind it some people are allergic...

one time i got my hand stuck in a carpet anemone and got a rash and felt like it was numb...

usually though, small stings do nothing to me...

I get stung all the time- and it seems that my reaction is getting worse as the years go by..
    I picked up a carpet anemone and got stung on the underside of my forarm a couple of years ago and it left a rash that was itchy and red for monthes. I have a large colony of fire coral in my tank and if I brush against it when I'm in the tank, I'll get red itchy spots that stay for a week or two. Bristle worms are pretty bad as well. If the bristles stay in the skin, it can be pretty painfull and they also leave a rash on me.
    Last year, when doing some aquascaping, I used my fist to knock a piece acropora off a rock it had encrusted onto. I punched it to try to knock it off on one shot- it worked but it broke my skin around my knuckles. Within an hour my whole hand was swollen and in pain- I took some Benadryl (antihistimine) and washed out the cuts as well as I could. It still took days for the swelling to go down completely and the soars were itchy for weeks.
    I usually am left with itchy spots more than anything else.
    Cortisone cream is very effective for healing the redness and reducing the itchyness.
    GKilla, it sounds like a brisltle worm got you. They ain't called fireworms for nothin'!!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Funny you should post this today I was transfering everything from my 45 gal tank over to my new 95 gal tank and I got stung by my carpet anemone when I was tranferring him over.. Man he grab onto my arm and especially the underside. Have a bit of a rash almost like a smaaaaal burn trobs a bit but slowly going away.. I guess thats what I get for giving him a new BIGGER home

I've never been stung, but I've been nervous about any of my skin being in the tank. Worried about possible infections and things. I aquascape quite a bit, so I purchased Aquagloves - the ones that go all the way up your arm. I feel so much more confident now when I stick my arm in the tank to move a rock or coral. Very good cheap investment!

I would have to agree with Matt. Bristleworms are just nasty. They cause so much pain, you'll never forget. The bigger they are....the more it burns. The rock dwellers are the worst....they are huge. Carpets pack quite a punch as well. If you ever come in contact with a sweeper from a torch coral...you won't forget that one either....it feels like an electrical shock. All the stings I've had....the Waratah Anemone is one I'll avoid in the future...2 months of pain...no wonder Clowns won't go near them! They are so beautiful and deserve so much respect. Never touch anything in the reef you know nothing about.

the only thing ive been stung by is a bristle worm. 10 incher to be exact. i was wearing a rubber glove and he got through it.now im letting him freeze to death for his actions.

All the years I've been in this hobby and I've never been stung. Watch me get stung tomorrow just cause I said that.

10 inch worm... holy shit lol... biggest i ever had in my tank is a 5 incher, and they don't really hurt me much.. the bristle break inside... iches a bit then goes away...

could it be my chinese super-immuno system?

I'll agree with Reefmutt here with the years it gets worst as a lot of coral farmers have discovered. Wearring gloves is a MUST in this hobby! I should really take my advice but most of the time I just stick my hands in there pps3:

You have to look for infection on site, if the red area gets bigger and/or if it is hot to the touch you are better to go to the clinic to consult for an antibiotic should it persist.

I get a real bad reaction to my branching hammer, hurts like a B***ch! and bristle worms of course!

quick anecdote; the last MASO meet I was in a hurry to frag stuff to bring (my lift was on her way) and at the last minute I decided to bring some button pollyps... well I know better but I "forgot" to put my gloves on... and of course like most women do I had a small cut on one finger.... well a few seconds later I had the metallic taste in my mouth... doh!!!!! I ran to the sink and washed it with really hot water and told my husband who just rolled his eyes at me..(he knows i know better)..lolll I was lucky it went away but I could of really had a bad reaction!(read HOSPITAL!!) Stupid me!!!! I too have the long gloves to work with but my hands are sooooo small the gloves dont allow me to frag properly thats why I hate them! Next time I'm at the vet for the cats I think I'll ask her to see if the gloves they use for cows are smaller and if they are available for me to order....
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast