Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New lights

New lights

Just bought this setup on ebay. Didnt think it was a bad deal. Here's the link...
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1
    What bulb options do you guys recommend. Keeping softies and LPS, might eventually get a few sps. Is there anything I should change in this setup. Thanks in advance, John

hey John, looked at this unit as well..looks good, decent price.

decided to go with VHO & T5 combination finally.

are you planning any supplimentation with the halides?

Yeah I will supplement the halides. I have a vho and pc setup now. So when I get back on dry land I'm going to incorperate all 3 of them. It will be the 2 65w 50/50 Iridus pc bulbs, with 2 10K URI VHO, 2 actinc URI VHO, and then the two 175 watt MH. Haven't the slightest idea what K bulb I will use for the MH. I am getting a reflector made at a local sheet metal place out of polished small gauge stainless, and then just bolting it all together. My plan is to have one pc bulb in the middle front and back, the MH's at the ends and then the VHO's running full length with a pair of dual watertight end caps. That way I can pair up the actinic with the 10K. Does sound nuts or should it work the best kind. Advice is needed here now big time.

Thats not a bad price at all especially for a buy it now price... Congrats !!

You did well ... UNLESS shipping, customs and or taxes hit you hard. Keep your fingers crossed.
    Rob

There should not be any customs and since it is being shipped from Toronto the NF you should only have to pay the GST. I bought my set up from them as well, only I was in Toronto and dropped in to Cool Touch Lighting myself as it was close to the airport. Watched the ballest being built and haven't had a problem. I think the lady I dealt with was named Kim.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

You will get the most light using 10K XMs. They have the highest output of any 10K bulb. They create amazing coloration and growth. They are yellow for some peoples taste, so you might have to balance them out by going actinic with 3 or 4 of your VHOs. IMO they are worth it.

Bill

Looks great. A good buy for sure.
    I totally agree with Bvoss. For 175 watts, you should try to go for as much par as possible so you can keep a higher variety of corals. You say that you may stray into sps territory so I'd agree with 10000k bulbs along with your URI VHO actinics. The VHO waterproof endcaps can be screwed into this reflector. Hellolights has something very similar but the endcap holes are pre drilled for you and they'll rivet in the moguls for customers. All in all, a great purchase.
    George

How about the XM DE 10K in 250W, do they look the same as the se Bulb?
    Wayner

What K arc lights would you guys use or just go with the xm's. I'm after hearing and reading that some people think that the arc lights are brighter than the xm's. Any opinions on this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast